Brace of GT's (Updated)

Oke, nice..then i have suddenly two oldskool bikes.. :D accept, on this bike of mine stands GT Backwoods.

Zaskar

Given the paint a major polish and put it back 1x9 geared weighes about 21 pounds and very agile but doesn't beat you up on the Trails. The old Quake air fork is extremely plush and stiff.

Both freakin nice Woldy. That pink is mental!! Zaskar looks very tidy too. And you're a lucky boy to have a GF who's into cycling! Rare thing rounds these parts.... Expensive paint job? :cool:

Bikes

Funny thing is, I always have been into GT's and no matter what other exotica I have had over the years, regardless of price, they have always always always outridden all others bikes, despite only being Hardtails. I have had all sorts of Ti and full Suss mega bucks bikes over the years and at the Mo I have a range topping Dale Rush with Lefty Fork and all the top spec gear, fantastic bike that performs brilliantly on the World circuit but it's not as fast or confidence inspiring as the Zaskar. I can fully Understand why Maestro Rey attacks such daft stuff with confidence. (I've taken to riding up and down flights of steps on this!) I suppose the fact that its the only bike to have ever had multiple WC wins in all 4 MTB disciplines. The one comment I never understand is when testers say the Zaskar is torsionally stiff(I agree) but suffers from a hrash back end? I always found the opposite, but this may be as I always owned small sizes. My only criticism is the poor tyre clearance on the seat stays as a 2.1 is the max you can fit.

Argh, everybody elses GT's have perfect stems, but for some reason I can't get a stem on my 18" 95 Zaskar that feels right. I've tried 135mm, 120mm, 90mm, with various amounts of rise, but nothing ever felt (or looked) as nice as modern version.

Retro

Whereas I feel the retro HT frames are way better than modern issues, I still feel the biggest advances have been in components, which can't be argued with really, so I mix n match. Nothing wrong with that with bikes that you actually ride regularly! Bit like rim brakes on a wet ride, compared to modern discs, pointless argument really!

Landis book

Floyd Landis' book 'Positively False' has a nice colour photo in it of the young, professional mtber Floyd, posing with his team issue Zaskar and kit.

Back