Marin 'Team Marin'

Those Marin forks are superlight, but they are a bloody thin tube set. I've got a pair, with a massive dent on the top of the right leg. Rode them for years like that, no problems at all. Mind you i was thinner, read lighter.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hey Gang,

Well the painting is done. I just finished the frame 30 minutes ago and have brought it up from the garage to hange in the house (nice and warm) for a few days to harden. Sorry the frame pic is average, but I don't want to touch it again until hardened and the light was behind it.

I did 2x coats of Etch Primer, 3x coats of Colour and 3x coats of Clear. I went a bit bolder with the green (compared to the example colour I posted earlier) and am glad I did as it'll really contrast with any red bits I put on. Its a metalic green which is not showing up too well in the pics.

Overall it came up pretty nice I think:

Frame.jpg

BB.jpg

SeatTube.jpg

I have not even thought about what parts to put on as it is meant to be a budget buildup, but the plan is to have the bulk of the parts black or silver and then to throw in some red highlights. Would love to get a set of Girvin forks for it though!

Cheers,

AJ

EDIT: Just realised it was not this thread that I was talking colour and plans for the frame. Here here for background - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

nice colour, and done yourself... looks like a nice job.

Only time I sprayed a frame myself I got impatient building it up too soon after painting it and buggered it up... though I know where I went wrong I've not been brave enough to go back and try again.

BG,

It’s pretty easy to get an decent job with a spray can, but as you eluded to... impatience is usually a major contributor to a job not working out too well. So too is paint quality/choice and prep work.

Being winter here its cold out, so my plan is to just leave it hanging inside for 3-4+ days. Thankfully that will be easy given I have no parts ready to go on it yet ;-)
AJ

You don't need to tell me about cold... 'twas a bit frosty on the bike into work this morning in Canberra.

Not a prob.

When I get the time I'll be stripping my Fisher (as it's a bit tatty - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33875) and repainting it - was thinking of going the powdercoat route though.

It will take me quite a bit of time to get back to a state where it can be ridden though as when I bought it it looked like it had been sitting outside in the weather so most of the parts are tarnished and will need a bit of a referb too.

was thinking of playing it safe and going white, but then I thought black, then I saw the colour you chose and then I looked at that nice 'milka' coloured yo-eddy shock-a-billy that's on this site and now I can't decide!

I hear ya.

I went this way as I have my modern dually in black, modern HT in red and old 91 Stumpy in white... so I thought I'd try and step away from my usual conservatibve preferences and take a risk on a frame that was not worth a propper restoration to start with (due to the pre-mentioned minor dents and limit on spending).

Other than my initial inspiration of the Commodore green I was also looking at that burnt orange you get on newer Falcons and Focus'. That'd be just a garish if highlighted with blue!

As say go BRIGHT and COLOURFUL if its not a propper restoration job ;-)

Cheers,

AJ

You're right it isn't a proper restoration.

I've already got a bright yellow bike (an old Norco Sasquatch from before that model turned into a jump bike), and my Y-33 has some bright green Z1s on it and my roadie is a green/yellow/orange fade.

I've never owned a red bike, so maybe I'll go red... but then the orange the bike has on it (in parts) at the moment is tempting!... I'll make a decision some day!

Latest posts

Back