Dave Lloyd - CATS WISKAS

Agency_Scum":2nnuzcqr said:
Come on sunshine, fresh pics, Bike of the Month compo and get stuck in there!

I hear you...

It's out of action at the moment due to the fork seals leaking so maybe I'll find time to give it a scrub and get some "quality" pictures.

The seals are due today or tomorrow so it should be back on the trails soon. I'm also looking forward to trying it with the rigid Pace forks when they arrive.

I'll tell my 2 year old that his bucket is coveted, nobody has commented that his little boat has capsized :cry:

Glad your liking it, I'm lovin it.

The blue REAL brake levers are lovely to use so they will be staying.

The clear grips are coming off. I've given it a few rides but after liking them at the start I am now getting hand cramps from them... oh well... nice try but back to Yeti Hardcore like on most of my other bikes :D

First ride also with the RC31's I got from Camokid - these forks are great. I'll fix the Bombers up with new seals and a service but I suspect this frame will spend most of it's time with the rigid forks on.

Pics to come.

The Pace rigid forks lasted two rides before they broke; I sent them to Pace but they could not be repaired :cry:

Back to the Bombers then :D

Latest change is to Cantilever brakes - the rear bosses were very far apart and setting up the V's was not easy. I did some research on best Canti's and Avid Tri Align's came out top... so here they are :cool:

y69q9w.jpg

y69q90.jpg

I've mixed up the colours and am very happy with the results. I've not had them out in the wet yet but in the dry they perform almost as well as the V's. Perhaps not as solid when in the garage but on the trail they are brilliant, and I think they look better which is all important ;)

So... complete bike as it now rides.

y69qd2.jpg

I must try and get better pictures to go in BOTM

y69qd5.jpg

Good choice! I put a Marzocchi on my Bonty for years when it came to a choice of something that was period or something that worked ( and looked better! ) like your fork.

Agency_Scum":1rh65a6x said:
Good choice! I put a Marzocchi on my Bonty for years when it came to a choice of something that was period or something that worked ( and looked better! ) like your fork.

Cheers, I'm not trying for a period build. I want kit that works well and deserves it's place... and it's got to look good :oops: I've gone through so much stuff to get it where it is and I am now really happy with the result.

I'd still like a rigid fork to throw on it sometimes and will be keeping my eyes peeled for something suitable. I think it deserves something better than a single butted P2. It's a shame the Pace RC31's broke... and I'm not sure I want to risk another set. I may have to save the pennies for a Groovy, Vicious or custom Alves (local framebuilder).

It's hard to beat floating around the forest on a such a light weight skinny tubed steel machine, it's got a real "feel" to it that is so much nicer than my aluminium hardtail.

Thought I should say how nice it is to see another Dave Lloyd bike. I have one I am currently rebuilding, although it’s older (91). I hope to get it on retrobike when I have finished.
Just a quick point my frame has a 130 mm hub space, if yours is the same and you fit a 135 mm hub this may be pulling the brakes bosses out.
Although it sounds like you have found a solution.

Bike Hoarder":3ckpytix said:
Hey Messiah, are you thinking of selling the RC35's? ;)

Sorry, already sold.

ocset":3ckpytix said:
Thought I should say how nice it is to see another Dave Lloyd bike. I have one I am currently rebuilding, although it’s older (91). I hope to get it on retrobike when I have finished.
Just a quick point my frame has a 130 mm hub space, if yours is the same and you fit a 135 mm hub this may be pulling the brakes bosses out.
Although it sounds like you have found a solution.

Another Lloyd!!! Looking forward to seeing that, they are not very common, I have seen three others in the flesh over 10 years and one other on ebay. The standard of the brazing looks to be fantastic and there are some lovely little touches on the frame which show the care and attention to detail that custom framebuilders are rightfully famous for.

The Avid Tri Align Canti's are almost as good as the Avid Ultimate V's they replaced... which is difficult to believe:?:
I've set the straddles up really low for maximum power and despite feeling a little mushy in the garage they are awesome stoppers out on the trails :p

The Ultimates are the best V-brakes I have tried and yet these old Canti's are nearly as good, and they look far better :cool:

The Tri Align's will be staying on :D

Back