Stan Saunders frame

roadking":2xwbgvep said:
Jonny69":2xwbgvep said:
My first bike came from Ken Bird's :D

Interesting, have you still got it?

I am just about to begin the restoration of my late Brother's Bird, would be very interested in any recollections you have about the shop, and any photos of your Bird.

PM me if you wish.

Cheers, Jon.
Mine wasn't one of his, it was a low end Raleigh in the the mid 80's but bought at his shop. It may even have been a kid's size because I'd have only been about 10. It's long gone. I seem to remember both his shops were quite big and packed with bikes. I can't picture inside but we used to drive past regularly enough and I think they were both double shops with the door in the middle. So the shop in Anerley closed down when I was young but the other one over in Streatham (or somewhere over that way) was open until quite recently and I was quite surprised when I was passing and saw it still there.

I apologise for butting into this topic but I am trying to get info on Stan Saunders, So far I think he was at 37 Anerley Hill SE19 and remember as a boy being envious of the fillet brazed frames with fancy paintwork. I was 16 then and now retired I think I have too much time on my hands! I think it was the same shop as Ken Bird but in the 60's just before Thicket Road going up the hill.
also does anyone remember Harry Boiteux in Elmers End?
Any info gratefully received.
Keith

Back