What is the best all round Retro suspension front fork.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all

Iv'e not seen this question asked so I'm asking it.

What is the best all round Retro front suspension fork unit?

Can you decide upon one single make and model of fork which by 1997 far outshone all other models. I'm not talking about your personal preference due to allegiance or favorite colour schemes, I mean the best overall performer which wins outright.

3.....2.....1.....Go !

Re: What is the best all round Retro front fork.

By 1997?

It can only be the Marzocchi Bomber.

It set a new benchmark in suspension performance.

Although the original question stands, as iv'e not seen it asked anywhere, I'm actually fishing for a fork to drop onto my 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS Comp.

:)

drystonepaul":3rezvfay said:
By 1997?

It can only be the Marzocchi Bomber.

It set a new benchmark in suspension performance.

true

The first forks from rockshox were a step in the right direction with motorcycle style air/oil damping, but they were weighty, poorly sealed and too flexible in relation to some of the oversized rigid forks of the time. Manitou were stiffer, but heavy, especially given that even on a warm day you carried the extra metal around for about 10mm of uncontrolled travel..........pace rc35's looked the business bitd...... The bombers were the best offering within the time boundary you set, I agree with paul........they are at best mediocre compared with what was available by about 2002/3 and some of the current offerings from fox, despite their 1k plus price tags, are a country mile ahead.......

The Pace RC36 isn't a bad fork either. Nice and light with coils springs and oil damping.

Nothing like a modern fork for performance, but better than most from that period. I'd still say the Bomber was probably number one though.

By 97....

Outright performance gotta be the Bomber, nothing else came close.

For Value the RST Mozo Pro 3.5, decent performance that didn't need a mortgage to afford!

White Brothers SC 70/90 had been receiving one of the best reviews at that time..

I raced/rode Indys, Judys, Pace, RST and Marzocchi between 1994 and 1998. If memory serves me correctly i really liked the bombers, although they were hefty. I remember changing a pair of indys to P2's about an hour before a ride because i couldnt stand them!

My mate had a set of Marzocchi DH3's which i always thought looked the business in green.

Back