1969 Pat Hanlon Criterium

Martin Rattler

Retro Guru

Hanlon Garage by JuanM58, on Flickr

So, here are a couple of phone snaps of my current rebuild based around a Pat Hanlon Criterium frame in 531DB dating from 1969; very much a work in progress.

The frame was bought on-line from a well-known purveyor of vintage kit so I don’t have any details as to its previous life. The plain paintwork looks to be original and there are no decals other than a silver Huret Derailleurs sticker on the top tube and no headbadge. Generally the frame is in sound condition but tatty and it looks as if it has been stored at the back of a dry shed for years.

The frame came with fitted with a Campag BB which was a bonus, although when I stripped it down the fixed cup was mysteriously stamped ‘de in Engl’; this was in pretty good nick but I replaced the balls. The headset was in poor condition and was replaced with an alloy Genetic Cranium which appears quite in keeping. I had a Mavic stem with Cinelli Criterium bars that were fitted to a now defunct Coventry Eagle that I fished out of a skip 20 years ago (never throw anything away!) that seem just the job. Nouvo Record Strada chainset (52/42) was bought on line, this was in quite poor condition but seems to have cleaned up relatively well and is fitted with MKS track pedals. Derailleur is N Record with a Record (I think) front mech; Campag band on levers were built up with the best bits of a number of sets.

Campag NT LF hubs were obtained from EBay and as these were the first wheels that I had built I used some modern rims, so it is currently running on Rigida Chrinas – built with Sapim double butted spokes, which are great, but I appreciate are nowhere near correct; these are fitted with Vittoria Rubinos. Campag GS brake callipers (rear pivot bolt stamped Made in Japan) provide the stopping via a random pair on Weinmann levers – I have a Campag pair to replace these when I finally build it up.

Oh and somewhere to sit - it is currently fitted with a modern Brooks Swallow on a late Campag twin-bolt seat post. I initially fitted a 16-20 five-speed Maillard block but have changed this to a random 14-24 while I shake everything down over the summer. I hope to strip it down at the end of the summer to refinish the frame and in the meantime look out for some more appropriate parts to replace those that are glaringly modern.

I have been running about on it for the last couple of months and it gives a sprightly ride, very light and responsive – and quick. I had originally fitted a butchered B17 that gave a very firm ride but the Swallow has made things much more comfortable and I enjoyed a 35 mile loop of the Kentish Weald last weekend and I am looking forward to a long relationship with the bike. Obviously, if someone here recognises the frame and can provide some information as to its history I would be very interested to hear. And I'll try to post further pics as the project progresses.

Hanlon Front by JuanM58, on Flickr

OK, I’m not sure whether this is a good idea but the time has come to have the PH frame refinished and I can’t make my mind up about the colour so I am asking for suggestions or recommendations.

I have found a set of transfers; the head and set tube badges are the same and are mainly gold, black and red and the downtube transfers: Pat Hanlon in gold. I also have a set of Reynolds decals.

I had thought to have cream coloured bands on the seat and down tubes with gold pinstripe bands separating them from the main colour; and a cream head tube. I think that this should set the transfers off quite nicely. But I am undecided about the colour I had originally thought about a dark green but someone suggested bright red, which is quite tempting, or perhaps a completely different scheme…any suggestions?

If the paint is as you say, original and in reasonable to good condition then don't mess with it as the patina can never be replicated and you will loose all the charm that comes with an original bike

Generally I would agree but the paint is in pretty poor condition, tatty and scraped through to the primer and bare metal in places; I bought the frame with refinishing in mind.

Frame2 by JuanM58, on Flickr

Frame1 by JuanM58, on Flickr

As planned, I ran the Pat Hanlon through the summer and once everything had shaken down it became a very pleasant bike to ride; light, quick and responsive yet stable. I stripped it down to the F&Fs a few weeks ago and delivered it to be refinished in a metallic green with cream panels which should set off the transfers nicely.

I have just received some pics showing the frame stripped. No horrors were found bar a couple of minor dings but the head tube seems to have been drilled to take a badge, although this has been filled by braze; presumably when the frame was built. The head lug appears to have been slit, perhaps to ensure a better fit or maybe to accommodate a top tube of a slightly smaller diameter. I am impressed with the quality of the brazing which is beautifully done; it almost seems a shame to cover it up with paint. And speaking of paint, there appear to be small traces of bright yellow paint under the tatty pea green; the original colour perhaps.

And in the meantime I have stripped; cleaned, polished and rebuilt the Campag N Record mechs and rebuilt the wheels, the rear with a new (to me) N Tipo hub from retroyetrigid OTP. I have a Campag Mirage headset which has cleaned up nicely and will replace the Genetic Cranium I originally fitted; I’ll keep an eye out for a Record to fit in the future. I am awaiting delivery of a set of Record brake callipers from EBay, I bought these with the Mercian project in mind but now I think they might be better replacing the GS set that I had originally fitted to this build.

I’ll post more as the build progresses.

nice one martin i just wondered what the wheelbase was ?
love the way you routed your brake cables.

Well, according to Classic Lightweights the wheelbase is 39.5'' but I'll have to measure this one myself once it's built up again.

Martin Rattler":359y6jfn said:

My-What-Big-Eyes-You-Have.gif

Back