10th Anniversary Clockwork

OrangeRetro":3sikoamp said:
It weighs a ton :shock: ... I'm use to my P7, which is sooo light though!

I can safely say with the confidence of personal experience that there is no need for it to weigh a ton. Just needs a bit of an upgrade. ;)

The Clockwork frame is lighter than the P7 frame. Strange but true. :?

cherrybomb":l978i368 said:
I can safely say with the confidence of personal experience that there is no need for it to weigh a ton. Just needs a bit of an upgrade. ;)

I agree.. ermm kinda already started, just bagged a M751 XTR chainset off the bay, and already have a matching XTR rear mech. OK both bits are a bit tatty but for once, I don't think I care.. I want to ride this one! :twisted:

Proper Clockworks shouldn't be bling anyway.
They should look like they work....................and do; hard.

clockwork

It looks a very late model 15.5 inch? Inch and Eighth head tube? No Canti Bridge? Looks later than 10th anni' model? I would just get it powder coated in Plain Orange, local guy to me does PC for about £50 including glass bead polish. Would do a two tone white/Orange for about £60

Nope. It's deffo a 10th anniversary model (1999) in 17". You're right though, it is 11/8" head tube and no canti hanger.

Because they only did that paint job for that year then I'd leave it if you can and just touch it in.

Size

The 14 and 15.5 had the short head tube the 17 and above the much longer one. I've had a few CR16's which I thought were 16 year anniversary Clockworks and they had Canti hangers and one inch head tubes :?

Nope definetly 17", definetly 1999, and definetly the tenth anniversary.. check out the attached pic from the 1999 catalogue.. It also has the tenth anniversay decal on the top tube.. It does have a 1 1/8" headtube and it was the last of the clockworks. The first was produced in 1989..

I've never understood the idea that the C16r was named as the 16th variation of the clockwork.. unless they were doing 2 different frames per year. I though the C16r was not a clockwork becaused they moved to proprietry tubing (series 7) instead of tange infinity??

I await to be shot down on this though.. ;)

The 17" has the short head tube too. The 19" is the first with the longer one.

The C16 is the sixteenth revision of the Clockwork not the sixteenth anniversary. ;)

Here's the relevant sections from the 1999 catalogue

1999-cat-detail-01.jpg

1999-cat-detail-02.jpg

OrangeRetro":xys1acbr said:
I've never understood the idea that the C16r was named as the 16th variation of the clockwork.. unless they were doing 2 different frames per year. I though the C16r was not a clockwork becaused they moved to proprietry tubing (series 7) instead of tange infinity??

I await to be shot down on this though.. ;)

From the 1995-96 catalogue:
1999-cat-detail-03.jpg

Imagine yourself crashing and burning! :D :D

Arrrghh the burning.. :shock: ;)

I stand corrected, BUT I stil don't get it, How could Orange have sold 16 different types of clockwork frame is 6 years..? Are you sure that this isn't just some marketing bloke coming up with something to write in the catalogue? :?

Back