Brake Caliper Suggestions?

fatfish

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I'm building up an old touring bike from the 60's/70's. Frame has no markings so identification is hard for me (that's probably a whole thread on it's own when it's done), although I'm told it was built by a Bristol frame builder in the 60's - I'm not really knowledgable enough to to confirm this.

It came with a Weinmann 500 on the back and nothing on the front. I've measured the reach on both to be 55mm, but ideally I want a caliper that I won't need to change if I ever end up changing to 700c. So I need a caliper that can reach to both 55mm + 59mm right? So far I've only found the Weinmann 730 that satisfies this (and from what I read the braking might be a bit rubbish?). I'm not to worried about it being the right period as some of the components are already a bit of a mix. Ideally I'd want something that doesn't look too modern though. Any suggestions on something that might be suitable?

Cheers

Go for an old set of Weinmann, Dia-Compe or Mafac centre pulls. Lots of range and good braking performance. Will look right too.

Yeah that makes sense now actually. Not sure why I didn't consider that in the first place! I'll keep looking at eBay. Thanks for your help.

I have a pair or 2 of mafacs if you pm me i will do pics to your email addy.. top ones are approx 30 quid posted others about 15 posted.. will

if it came with a weinmamm 500 then thats a very short reach to start with, I ran them on my TT bike in the 70's :) I think the madac would look more period than double pivot and less hassle about allen key fitting etc.

shaun

BS2-Altenburger-CP-brakeset.jpg

Old Ned":n0uom5wn said:
1960's Bristol builder?

Where's Keith when you need him?
when I lived there most cyclists were on either a Fred Baker or an Overbury steed
Griff

Back