Internal brake cable - which ferrules to use?

It is always worth checking Amazon for bits and oil, grease etc - they have some good deals but check the postage before you buy - i have been caught once!!! Also, Halfords is worth a look too - and the have deals on oil this weekend.

Amazon is worth a quick look to see the actual range of bits they do - Dura Ace, Ultegra etc etc are available too.

Strangely this relates to another current thread about net bike part suppliers!

I still do not work for them though!!

HAve a great weekend,

Richard

Bought the stepped ferrules and they don't fit.

Really looking to get the rear brake connected soon! Can anyone advise?

pity .... Amazon is taking over the world. But that's another thread. Shops like the Bridgewater Bandits are going to lose out to them eventually though.

edit - on another note, do make sure that the diameter of the stepped ferrule is big enough. Stepped ferrules were originally designed for "divers helmet" stops, which are usuallt on the chainstays and therefore for gear outers which are narrower

final edit - some of those internal sleeves are designed for use with no ferrule. The sleeve in the frame is designed to be a tight fit with bare brake cable outers and is finished square and flush inside. Our kids Somec was like that. Also with a ferrule if it gets stuck inside after a bit of sweat corrosion, you;re stuffed.

MartinB123":2fg9mxx2 said:

Will the outer covering of the cable pass through into the top tube? some early Italian frames used this disappearing act to tidy up the cable runs so you had to use a complete length of outer casing as you would with a clipped on cable set up, usually if the outer terminates where the cable disappears there is only a hole big enough to take inner wire & in some cases a thin protection liner. [ on the other hand I may be way out]

Just to add my 2p - the cable end on my Van Tuyl is not stepped - it is a normal ferrule. There is some form of outer pre-fixed inside my top tube so it is easy to feed the cable through.

I have a notion that the stepped ferrules may have been designed for gear outers which may be narrower than brake outers. Apologies, but i had not considered that previously.

Richard

MartinB123":yhhhhaji said:

Is it the ferrule end into the frame that doesn't fit or the cable outer into the ferrule?

Mark.

Sorry to drag this up again! It's the ferrule-end which didn't fit. Bought some stepped ferrules but they didn't fit. This seems a really annoying part to procure... I have a VGC Campagnolo chorus groupset & wheels that's waiting to be fitted to this frame. grr!

Find narrow outer gear cable casing! It will go straight through the holes so no need to chop the outer, one full length, right through it.

I had the same problem and was advised to use outer gear cable casing, the brake cable itself is tightish but soon got bedded in and worked a dream.

I used black Clarke narrow gauge outer MTB outer casing.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back