My 1st time out on the RS1-Pro - nearly killed me!

deelam

Retro Guru
I finally took her out on Sunday for a 12 mile up, down and round Gisburn Forest. It damn near killed me!!!

I've spent ages prepping this bike, and I've been really looking forward to the 1st proper off-road thrash. 7.30am start on Sunday with the bike all clean and shiny, ready to go and...

What an anti-climax, I was gutted!

The 1st hill nearly killed me! Never, never in all my life have I been so knackered. I struggled up every hill. I felt about 20% of my usual self.
Normally I can ride the whole 12 miles in under 2 hours without a stop, Sunday took 2hrs 45mins.

All the way round I was analysing the bike. Sure, it's not exactly light but still, something just wasn't right. The brakes weren't dragging - (I checked several times just because it felt like they were!)

The ups were an absolute herculian task, but the downs - now that was a totally different experience for someone who has never ridden full-sus before! Gisburn is mainly limestone crush trails, 2-4" rocks. I could stay in the saddle!!! The small sections of hard technical climbs up through the woods were made easy too, again I could stay fixed in the saddle and the rear suspension simply soaked up the roots and rocks. While my mates on hard tails got off to push!

Half way round I realised / remembered that I am on anti-inflammatories for a broken wrist I "forgot" to have set, apparently these pills make you feel really unfit. I'd also made the ride harder by fitting 2 1/2" new tyres in anticipation of lots of mud - which there wasn't.

So all-in-all, I reckon it was me that let the bike down - not vice-versa.
I'm looking forward to giving it another thrashing, next time in the dark though, and with some sensible tyres this time.

This sure is a bike with "issues". I just have the feeling that once I get it set 100% right, I'm going to have a bike I'm never going to want to part with.

And you should have seen the attention it draws!!! :D

Glad to hear the Fisher is getting some (ab)use.

I often find it takes me a few rides to get my bikes dialled just so. I'm sure a few tweaks and you'll be loving it.

I'd say the Fisher was a keeper regardless :D

Nice to hear its being used. Fettling usually takes a few rides, especially if its a different style of bike to what you're used to ;)

You know, I'd love to see that footage again.

I reckon it would, just not with me riding it! It would also have to be nigh-on perfectly balanced for the weight of the rider. Oh, and they would of course have to be the "right kind" of steps, not your common or average steps! :D

Oh well, 'spose the fettling and tweaking is all part and parcel of the whole retrobike thing - I'm just impatient :?

Back