1997 IBIS BOW TI - MY DREAM BIKE - FINAL PICS!

Re: 1997-1998 IBIS BOW TI - MY DREAM BIKE

No problem - Those chain rings look good.
Chris Hayes is the man I was told did the bulk of the welding, It would not surprise me if you are right and despite the huge price tag there was not much profit made out of the Bow Ti. Dating is pretty difficult but whatever - they are rare, late '90s and pretty unique. 6.5 inch eye to eye extended shock. I have the original Fox Alps 5 unused and ride with an RP23. Geometry was optimised for 70mm fork travel so it sat midway between the current XC and downhill forks of the era. The frame with the shock removed is sitting just under half way through its designed travel. So it had to be jigged and welded to that state - makes your head hurt just thinking about it. If you have not seen it, Google Ibis 30/30 and look at Sebastopol days Pt2 there is a picture of the Bow Ti jig. Good luck with the build and put some pictures up when you are done. As Scot says "Get out there and ride that thing!"

just googled it..cool pic!...here it is.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 844

A few updates here...am taking my time with this one, waiting for just the parts I want to come up..

-Very nice second gen White Industries hubset (tracker front).

-Now this is a crankset! NOS Kooka with NOS Actiontec Titanium 44,34,24 rings and bolts...ELG heat treated...was actually suprised how well they fit together!

The search for an NOS 1997 Judy continues...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 803
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 803
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 803

I almost feel guilty using this...NOS 1997 Judy SL :(

Pretty much had no choice but for NOS as I need a 9'' steerer!

PS: It wont be yellow for much longer..

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 745

Your going to repaint nos Judy lowers?

Why not find some SL lowers and repaint those? He'll I'll trade you my lowers...

Ps: sweet build....

broomhandle":2rpkafwv said:
Your going to repaint nos Judy lowers?

Why not find some SL lowers and repaint those? He'll I'll trade you my lowers...

Ps: sweet build....

You are probably right...when I get to it I probably wont be able to start peeling away the decals! Maybe I will leave this one in the glass case..plus i really do want an 80mm..back to ebay I guess!

In other news Gil M and I have come up with a new decal design for the fox alps 5r. I find the factory one basically ruins the bike!...what were they smoking at fox in 1997!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 702
  • p4pb8064905.jpg
    p4pb8064905.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 699

Judy's can run 80/100mm it's just if you want to rebuild them yourself. What guts you want to run, spacers and bushings.

I'm rebuilding a 97 Judy xc which was 63mm. And using 2000 xc guts/80mm.

Because really... All these old Judy's even new are still old. If you do real ridding it's with a new fork. :)

Judy is for the. Oh yeah... Olde days...

On your Ti I would personally go terralogic or white bros.

I run a 100mm margura durin sl on mine and works a treat, but then I ride it as my main bike a lot, or used to. It has a newer shock fitted and this helped the rear even mor, it removed a bit of the brake judder at the rear which was nice, not essential but nice. I did this after Castellano tried it and sent me his comments. Nice chap. I've got the Alps shock in a box somewhere still.

watching this with interest.

Hey guys, It isn't really being built to be ridden.. More like a future history lesson for my great grand children!

I choose the Judy sl as it is most iconic fork from the era in my opinion. That's sort of the rationale behind my component picks. Kooka cranks have a bad wrap for breaking and the company went down in flames... I like that! (My gen 3 cranks didn't have any issues however)

34henry3w":3k983iqn said:
Hey guys, It isn't really being built to be ridden.. More like a future history lesson for my great grand children!

cool. I only made comment because I've pretty much ridden mine since new and have updated the bike as technology improves and components break. Mine would never win bike of the month, it has too many modern parts to keep the old skool guys happy. Tis a fab bike and amazing engineering. chappeau!

Back