1988 RALEIGH 653 RACE FRAME SET TYPE 8801

Sir Walter

Raleigh Fan
Purchased frame set second hand in May 2012 for £60 from a Widow of deceased collector.
Although at the time I knew nothing about the frame I could tell it was a quality frame on account of the tube set, Cinelli lugs and Campagnolo dropouts. It also has the Gerald O'Donovan sticker on the seat tube.
Due to the use of Italian frame components and colour scheme I made the decision to dress the frame as much as possible with period Italian components all of which I purchased second hand, I did not want New Old Stock items as this would have necessitated re-painting the frame, I am happy with the general condition of the paint although there are some rust marks and scratches I feel originality is far more important.
I set about sourcing Campagnolo C Record Era components particularly Croce D’Aune as it was introduced in 1988.

Croce D’Aune Chain ring and cranks
Croce d’Aune Front and rear mechs
Chorus Pedals and straps
Chorus Aero Seat pin
Mavic MA40 Wheels Chorus hubs
Chorus Brake levers
Friction Gear shifters
Chorus Brakes
New old stock Campagnolo Pearlescent cable set
C Record Headset
C Record bottom bracket

White San Marco Rolls saddle
Regina 7 speed block
Sedis Gold chain,
Brooks White leather bar tape
Cinelli Nos 1R Stem and Campione del mondo 42 bars

It took me about 18 months to put together sourcing parts from eBay and cycle jumbles but i'm chuffed with the finished article and it rides like a dream.

Attachments

• IMG_2660.jpg
    IMG_2660.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,545
nice ! pearlesent cables and gold chain and 653 ! always did like that colour combo . rbotm ?

Really nice, a great frame complemented by some quality bits. Some bikes just look fast, even when they're standing still!

+1 for RBoTM!

Martin

Thanks for the positive comments guys,

I am rather ashamed to admit I had to google " rbotm " as I couldn't work it out for myself Duh !

Not sure it qualifies for that having seen the other stunning bikes on here but I appreciate the sentiments.

Cheers !

not trying to put it down or anything cause spending money is a big issue. i think nob is right some new silver polished rims and new gum wall tyres would deff put your bike 'well up there ! ;)

Nah, rims are good - GP4s and MA40s were the rims of the day

I had the 531c model in blue, white & red. Surprisingly it rode far better than the colnago Mexico it replaced. Mine had 6400 tricolour group set on it

You got a Nice bike

Back