Repack 30-year anniversary

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
October 21 of this year will mark the 30th anniversary of the day six friends decided to answer once and for all time who was the fastest dirt descender in the world. The contest took place on the hill they called "Repack," and apparently the question is still open.

I have it on good authority that some of those same principals will show up on the site, possibly at 10:00 a.m., and I think I'll bring the clocks. Just in case.

repackclocks.jpg

One principal who won't be there is Gary Fisher. My wife works in the local hospital and she found him there yesterday with a broken ankle, having been carried out of the local single-track park.

Mate, you really do put up some truly humbling forum posts!

So who is attending the Reunion? Charles Kelly? It would be awesome to have some photos of the day too.. Wow.. Mountain Biking is 30 years old eh, I was barely 3 when it all started :oops:

Looking forward to hearing how it goes..

ooohh... this post made all the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end...

Ive read of the days on repack mountain, but never realised one of the founders of mountainbiking as we know it frequented here...!!! i am truly honoured!!

it would be awesome to be at the reunion, but oceans get in the way! have a great day!

Anniversary Homage

Does it not fall upon our humble retro-brotherhood to mark this occasion - we are all direct descendants in our own way (although my mates and I did make our own mock-scrambler bicycle with wavy bars in '73 - if only there had been hills in Cheshire, we coulda been contenders!! :D )

If we cannot arrange a meet on the 21st then, at the very least, we should all take our oldest bike out for a spin at 10am and photograph it for the calendar...

What say you, guys?

Neil

that sounds like an idea... 10am on the 21st the Fat will be perched at the top of our greatest DH for a breif photoshoot... :)

That is seriously cool, would love to see some pictures (drop me a pm if you need tham hosting).

Planning on riding the Repack? What's the story with access?

John":nty9efvx said:
What's the story with access?
Don't kill anyone and don't (wink wink) exceed 15 mph. It's wide open.

Over the years the road had become so eroded that it was useless for its primary purpose, which is to provide a route for fire vehicles to enter public lands. It was so rutted that even on modern bikes you couldn't go as fast as in the old days.

So last year a road grader was sent to repair the road, and my suspicion is that it was driven by a mountain biker. In any event, the driver turned it into a smooth, steep, and fast run again with some strategically placed jumps. It remains a local favorite. Saw a dozen or so mud-covered riders riding together today on the road that leads away from it.

Repack Rider":1c5k65ij said:
..my suspicion is that it was driven by a mountain biker. In any event, the driver turned it into a smooth, steep, and fast run again with some strategically placed jumps...

Hahaha excellent.. Sounds awesome.. This is a big ask I know.. But..

Any chance you could strap a video cam to a bike and do a handlebar run for the forum? :oops: I know I'd love to see it as you would racing down it full bore.. :D

Back