woe is me etc etc. *update*

My advice is work out what work makes you happy and find someone who'll pay you for doing it (or something similar). If you like fixing up old bikes, then maybe you should become a mike mechanic. Get a job in a bike shop, os start your own business. Perhaps a bike fixing service that comes out to peoples homes, picks up the bike, and drops it off fixed/serviced...

People tend to be good at things they enjoy/enjoy the things they're good at, the key is working that out. Good careers advice is a great idea, but you still need to work out for yourself what makes you happy, why bother spending most of your waking hours doing something you hate?

Good luck!

bryan555":18vns7qi said:
why bother spending most of your waking hours doing something you hate?

If it pays 5 times what you'd earn doing something you like then it's worth it

Good careers advice is a great idea, but you still need to work out for yourself what makes you happy, why bother spending most of your waking hours doing something you hate?

that's what a good careers adviser will work out with you ;) A good one takes a holistic approach and lets you discover yourself what makes you tick, drawing out the best in you.

A good careers advisor + an honest chat with a repuatble recruitment consultancy would be a good start.

Come over to the darkside (NHS) plenty of jobs always advertised + excellent policies of recruitment.

MadCowKev":2f4i21ki said:
bryan555":2f4i21ki said:
why bother spending most of your waking hours doing something you hate?

If it pays 5 times what you'd earn doing something you like then it's worth it

I would disagree. If you can earn enough that you feel comfortable with, why would you persue more money that would leave you miserable. Granted the factor of 5 either way is tempting/not tempting, but unlikely.

I packed up as a self employed courier with my own van 8 years ago, It was the best thing i ever did, I got so fed up with chasing work up, bad payers, people letting me down at the last minute, 90hr weeks, nigh on drove me insane. So one day i just thought f**k it and sold my van and went back paye driving lorries, I now work a 44hr week, i'm not as rich as i used to be but i have no more stress and Hassle plus working nights no traffic. I start at 9pm finish at 5am then sleep till dinner or early afternoon then just chill out with the wife and little un till work time.

If you are unhappy in your job leave before it does your head in that's what i say. Good luck :cool:

Wow - :shock:

Thanks for the genuine support and advice guys! Unexpected to say the least (espesh as I though I was the most hated person for all the skip diving... ;) ).

I suppose I did have a short career working in my first love - Hifi

I worked for Quad, Wharfedale, Mission and TAG McLaren Audio - I was allowed to tinker and had an enjoyable 7 years at it, then hifi became the domain of the very well off or the slightly bonkers. Its all made in China now and theres barely enough enthusiasm for it to have kept AVForums going for so long (if they hadnt diversified).

I've been a cleaner, a caretaker, taxi driver as well as testing speaker systems and working for McLaren.

Its not quite mid-life crisis but its close to 'oh shit what the hell do I do now?' sort of thing.

I've just finished a 13 chour shift early becuase of another bloody puncture.... Pubs shut, Family Guys finished so have not a clue what to do for the rest of the evening.

Uni all the way. Finished the course and did'nt want to work in that field.

Decided to some thing completely different with a great work life balance.
Less pay but loads better.

Took the plunge and here I am 7 and a bit years later and everything is rosie.

Mind you that might not suit everyone. :roll:

Gotta have a plan, man.

Scribble it all on a great big piece of paper. Family future (kids, schools etc), location (Where you want to be), financial future (where you are, where you want to be, how much do you need to earn to get there), what you love (stuff you love doing, people you need to be close to, things you need to keep in your life) and then see what that tells you. Helps to make some predictions at snapshot periods, say 5 years from now, 10 years, retirement etc.

Sounds wishy washy, but I love all this. Has really helped some people that have worked for me make important life decisions and not trog on doing the same thing wasting their lives waiting for something that is unrealistic.

Example: Want to be settled in my own home by the time kids start secondary school. Mortgage needs to be covered by small pension, need enough money to feed and clothe children but don't want to bust my balls to live a glam life. Want to live less than 30 minutes from the beach, but don't know where so I will not commit (buy a house) to live in an area until I do. Eventually want to work for myself, but may need a period of stability when settling into normal life so a 'proper' job is sensible. Mrs SB and I love being outdoors in the sun and want our kids to be outdoorsy and sporty, with a rounded education (not just a thousand A*** GCSEs). No particular family ties. No particular wish to be in the UK.

Answer: Try Overseas, somewhere sunny, Oz? Minimum 5 year commitment to new life. Keep it simple, enjoy the beach and picnics and cycling and fitness (Mrs is a very good Personal Trainer). Spend time together and drink wine in a hot-tub if it all gets scary.

Good luck Matey

Back