1994 RockLobster

tony gti-r

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right here we go....

I've been on the lookout for a Lobster frame since joining RB but nothing seemed to show up and the eBay searches produced more modern stuff.

Alway wanted one bitd but never had the funds to buy the frame then the parts so ended up with a couple of Univegas under my belt.

Then a few weeks before Christmas I stumbled upon this frame on eBay

Thought it was worth a punt so put in an offer and secured it....

I collected it today and turns out its a fellow RBer but didn't get his username....

I have decided to get the frame stripped as although its in ok nick it's not to my taste and I want to get a few areas repaired....

The plan is to get it stripped and repair the rear cable stop, remove the rack mounts and get it sprayed/coated either in the original blue or a Lobster red? Then get some new Decals.

The build is going to be as period as possible and try not to end up with loads of different manufacturers components on it.

All comments welcome and any input on colour choice....

Tony....

Gotta love a Lobster

my first propper MTB ...Wish I never sold it now :facepalm:
Mine was Royal Blue with Bonty forks

Gonna follow this build for sure as it brings back so many good memories

Very nice. Butchery on the cable stop - why!? Glad it's going back on.

I really like the red to be honest, but claret's on here in the blue is a great choice of colour I think: viewtopic.php?t=130031&highlight

This is going to add good inspiration for me. I'm going to build mine up for size and then if I like it get it resprayed. Can't guarantee a period correct or even a decent build of mine, but you look like someone who does a proper job!

Original forks are a bonus. I have just found some 1" very similar for mine, tange ones. I'd keep it rigid, not that you mention otherwise.

Yeah the butchered cable stop is horrible and nearly stopped me from buying it....

I could always fit Pauls Motolites but would rather repair it if possible and run cantis.

I actually have no idea on what im going to do with it other than fab one myself???

I had planned to run Rockshox Judy XCs on this but may keep it rigid if the forks are infact original.

Clarets choice of colour is what I originally wanted but he beat me to it so I cant go there, I really would like it in the original Royal blue but something is saying to me go with Lobster red lol

Anyway its off to the shot blasters today so I can see what im working with.

If anybody who reads this thread has any ideas on the repairs to the cable stops I`m all ears.

Tony....

Rampage on here does bespoke bits and pieces. Sure he could knock up a hanger for you and then you just need to braze it on after filing down the stub of the hacked off one. You only need low temperatures for this, so might even be able to do it with a gas can and brazing rod. Or, if you have a local framebuilder, would be a simple (and probably cheap) job for them.

Red would be good, i'm tempted to go blue with mine, but like you say, been beaten to it!

For the cable end with ferrule.... im really rusty with these sizes.

On second glance I think Im gonna try a few different types that they list as there all around the £2 mark and minimum order is £10

The BP2142 looks like the exact match for my frame but has no sizing for cable dia, The C-33C looks like its worth a punt too.

Tony....

Do you have a set of vernier callipers? You could measure some cable ends.

Failing that, why not give them a call, they'd probably be able to advise.

Back