woe is me etc etc. *update*

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
After twatting about at school and college and not doing much in between, I now find myself reaching the age of 35 and have NO qualifications other than 9 GSCEs and a GNVQ in Art & Design.

I'm a self-employed taxi driver trying to find a new job so I dont have to work 60 hours a week.

Am I in trouble or is there some light at the end of the tunnel?

seriously - go and see a careers advisor. My wife is one, and if they are a good one (like my good wife ;) ) they will set you on the right path. It's not about getting you a job, but about what do you actually want to do in your life and how to go about it.

Re: woe is me etc etc.

legrandefromage":38443mxu said:
After twatting about at school and college and not doing much in between, I now find myself reaching the age of 35 and have NO qualifications other than 9 GSCEs and a GNVQ in Art & Design.

I'm a self-employed taxi driver trying to find a new job so I dont have to work 60 hours a week.

Am I in trouble or is there some light at the end of the tunnel?

All the best people twated about at school ! and you have far more qualifications, than I have, and then droped out at collage carears advisers are good, but they did tell me I should be a ocupational therapist, and I am happy working in sales. Just rember Bill Gates droped out of collage, and look where that got him.

Im in a similar boat, 32 now ... Had a well paid decent job but decided for a change in life ... Moved to Newquay and set up a business with my mate .... then got dads news in Jan so moved back up to the parents house to support and generally keep the old git smiling.... I know in the scale of things I am not bothered at the moment but at some point I am going to have to start again?? :cry:

Re: woe is me etc etc.

legrandefromage":2lck8uuc said:

whatever you do, do not go to uni or invest in further education without a reasonable guarantee of a good career at the end of it,

I just wasted £15k on a crappy university degree, no direct job prospects from the course, went in all happy, came out with depression and a downturn in the economy, plus news reports of degrees being given away to foreign students and my grade being based on quotas rather than achievement,

Ignore any of the TV adverts suggesting you do their (paid for) course and go for a career in IT with an average wage of £45k ...because its complete BS.

Best advice would be as above, go see an advisor, and look at the experience you have developed through life and see where it will apply.

Then get a well written CV up on monster.com and the rest.

My advice is work out what work makes you happy and find someone who'll pay you for doing it (or something similar). If you like fixing up old bikes, then maybe you should become a mike mechanic. Get a job in a bike shop, os start your own business. Perhaps a bike fixing service that comes out to peoples homes, picks up the bike, and drops it off fixed/serviced...

People tend to be good at things they enjoy/enjoy the things they're good at, the key is working that out. Good careers advice is a great idea, but you still need to work out for yourself what makes you happy, why bother spending most of your waking hours doing something you hate?

Good luck :)

My advice is work out what work makes you happy and find someone who'll pay you for doing it (or something similar). If you like fixing up old bikes, then maybe you should become a mike mechanic. Get a job in a bike shop, os start your own business. Perhaps a bike fixing service that comes out to peoples homes, picks up the bike, and drops it off fixed/serviced...

People tend to be good at things they enjoy/enjoy the things they're good at, the key is working that out. Good careers advice is a great idea, but you still need to work out for yourself what makes you happy, why bother spending most of your waking hours doing something you hate?

Good luck :)

Back