fsx/styfe/black-box-sid fork

scant

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Hi all
i've been meaning to attempt this fork for some time & after far too many hours of much trial, error, frustration, grease & 4 donor forks in parts
I've finally got it working!
behold, the fsx/styfe/black-box-sid fork!

fsxnondrive.jpg

fsxfrontclose.jpg

fsxfront.jpg

6May264.jpg

How cool is that :cool: tell me do you need the fork gaitors?

thanks guys :)
i've just weighed it at 2.9lb. weight wasnt really a concern, englund air cartridges would be a lot liter than the coil springs fitted. (2 of the judy donor forks elastomer internals were just mush & I didnt want to face cleaning that out again!) same with the fork boots & steel bolts in the fork brace, boots just look better than the bare legs (IE black) & the black steel bolts blended into the brace better :)

I was hoping to remove the black box decal but its under a mass of lacquer so i'll leave it.

... it actually looks really cool on the tomac... but then I'd get shot by the period correct police :LOL: ;)

Thats just showing off!

Very :cool:

Had often thought about cross compatability of forks - guess you proved it works :D

But please tell how much swearing there was during their creation :LOL:

letmetalktomark":38nq958v said:
Thats just showing off!

Very :cool:

Had often thought about cross compatability of forks - guess you proved it works :D

But please tell how much swearing there was during their creation :LOL:

Put it this way, I wouldnt want to do it again, waay too much time modifying to fit, build, doesnt work, rebuild, doesnt work, modify, rebuild... you get the idea :roll: I seem to have this irritating habit of ideas coming to me when I try to drift off to sleep at night... & this fork was 1 of them

without wanting to dredge up some irritating memories, the biggest difference between the 96 judy FSX & the sid black box are:
96 fsx dummy shaft & cartridge are both held in by circlip. the sids internals are screwed (15mm socket/allen key).
the sid non drive side cartridge actually pieces the lowers (both sides of the fsx butt up against the inside of the lowers)

i'm going to stop now before I start swearing again ;)

I would suggest that you ride more and stop being the mad professor of retrobike, but, you know...

;)

good work.

theboy":kzsumd7p said:
I would suggest that you ride more and stop being the mad professor of retrobike, but, you know...

;)

good work.

ride more! i've not long got back from a 4hr ride & average min 2hrs offroad every day :D ... yeh I want to ride more!... esp on the new freeride rig :D

Back