cinelli sentiero 88 columbus

My first post. You might like.

I own one of these cinelli bikes, I bought it brand new in 1988 from a shop I used to race with.

Yes in 1988 this was a fairly high speced bike and I used to race it. I would also mix up my training between riding this or my custom built road racer to work some 15-18 miles a day.

I may still have the sales brochure for the bikes. I had the choice of two bikes the pink one or a multi coloured one. The multi coloured one was alot more money. Money I didn't have. Plus I think the spec was abit higher.

I did ok on the bike in races. I even had a disc rear wheel for road use/training. That was bright pink also I will have to dig out the pictures.

Brilliant story! I'd love to see the brochure. Whereabouts did you buy the bike? It would be interesting to test my theory that they might have been sold in a few places only.

A small in dependant bike shop Trever Braizer cycles in Gosport in 1988 I remember going to collect the bike in my lunch break and racing it on the Sunday at Southampton common race meeting. I think I came about 19th or 15th comes to mind out of about 80 odd.

Either £280 or £320 comes to mind with bike price. I wi have to get it out the loft I'm more into kitesurfing now than road racing and off road racing.

I also remember steeling some pink nail paint of my sisters to touch up any scratches or chips in the paint as the colour was way off the normal colour charts. Well made bikes, I changed out my stem for a roller type one for the handle bars but I still have the original.

I'm dead chuffed this bike has a following because it was off the radar in buying terms in its day because no one knew who cinelli was. After that I had a clock work orange another off the radar bike! And now I have a Scott atb. It's all coming back to me now in my bmx racing days I rode a custom bmx made by Steve Wilson in the Midlands. From memory he's claim to fame was making motor bike frames for trails bikes but made the frames for the Halfords BMX team and then he started making bmx frames. So I've never had normal bikes apart from my purple chopper, which has been my best chat up lines with girls for years " hey I used to have a purple chopper" and your in ........ Lol

Fnar fnar :LOL:

Mine was from bognor and the other one I saw was from round there too. I bet they were all from that place in gosport - he probably got them direct from Italy!

Surfer71":35eb1cca said:
I also remember steeling some pink nail paint of my sisters to touch up any scratches or chips in the paint as the colour was way off the normal colour charts. Well made bikes, I changed out my stem for a roller type one for the handle bars but I still have the original.

I'm dead chuffed this bike has a following because it was off the radar in buying terms in its day because no one knew who cinelli was. After that I had a clock work orange another off the radar bike! And now I have a Scott atb. It's all coming back to me now in my bmx racing days I rode a custom bmx made by Steve Wilson in the Midlands. From memory he's claim to fame was making motor bike frames for trails bikes but made the frames for the Halfords BMX team and then he started making bmx frames. So I've never had normal bikes apart from my purple chopper, which has been my best chat up lines with girls for years " hey I used to have a purple chopper" and your in ........ Lol

That wasn't WhiteHawk you rode BMX for was it? shop in Horndean, spent most of my weekends there in the 80's :)

I also had one of those pink Sentieros. And a blue Sentiero with little Animals painted on. I sold both. The pink one was too big and the colour was bleached. I really really regret selling the blue one.

Whats nice about Cinelli is that they put Cinelli Bars and Stems also on their low models. I still have those.

Back