Saracen Trekker 88 double U brake

Little update, left crank arm was a pain, Deore crank bolt cap rounded out as it was seized in the arm. I drilled two holes in it like the XT ones but still wouldn't shift, I have been soaking it in Plusgas for weeks but to no avail.
Out with the Dremel, cut off what I could but the threaded section remained seized in place and that stopped the socket fitting to remove the crank bolt. I used a tiny grinding tool on the Dremel to split the piece left which enabled me to then prise with a small pick, fortunately I could get enough force on it to finally break it away from the thread on the arm, at last!

Bottom bracket came out fine, dry and dirty but maybe OK, won't know until cleaned and inspected, shell threads look good just need a good clean.

Bars, stem, headset and forks off, head set looks much the same as BB.

Seat post is definitely stuck, caustic soda on the menu!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 282
Try ammonia before caustic Ash...you can get it from wilkos for a couple of quid. Stinks but does the trick and is less destructive than caustic.

and........ you should really hide that Attitude from those Klein owners of a nervous disposition ....if i am not mistaken it has got actual mud on it!!! :shock:

Cheers Ant but I had the caustic already so stuck with that.

I remembered the Stumpy I had with the same problem so doubled up. Stumpy went off like a volcano and took about 30 mins, The post had been cut down and also cut length ways in a previous attempt to remove, the Trekker not very dramatic and after a couple of hours still no movement. Going to cut post off and go the same way as Stumpy, tomorrow hopefully.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 258
:shock: good skills Ash......hope you wore gloves. You want to patent that universal plank tool too :D

Great project....cool ethos too.
Double U....nothing like it.
Hope the seat post comes out OK. That Stumpy looked in pain.
Can I hide another bike in the garage? Urge to get a Trekker rising....

Back