1997 Nuke Proof Reactor hardtail

After scratching the crap out of the fork legs on my first attempt to re assemble the front end I decided to have them re-powdercoated and try again. The second time was a success! I was able to get the XTR V's to work as well so this build is brake and shifter adjustments clip, cap and crimping of the cables away from being on the road. I have to say I really like the Yokozuna cable once you figure out the best way to cut it without it unraveling on you. I may have to fine tune the front dropouts to get the front wheel to sit right in fork. Ah well the price of uniqueish bikes. I am hopping to get it out in the dirt this weekend.

Cheers

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 705
Thanks, not yet I still need to do the final tune. I plan on doing some light flat trails to break it in this weekend.

Final photos of the build.

Attachments

• DSCN0213.jpg
    DSCN0213.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCN0214.jpg
    DSCN0214.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCN0215.jpg
    DSCN0215.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCN0216.jpg
    DSCN0216.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCN0217.jpg
    DSCN0217.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCN0218.jpg
    DSCN0218.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCN0219.jpg
    DSCN0219.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 536
That's actually pretty cool. Nicely done.

I was chatting with an ex-pro the other day and the topic of Nuke Proof came up. Turns out he was sponsored by them in the late nineties. They flew him out to Michigan to test ride this new proto race bike (your Reactor). He said it was downright dangerous how poorly the front end reacted and how the fork would gouge his knees. He told them he wouldn't race it and they said it was this bike or hit the road. He quit on the spot.

ridevintagemtb":ycsmgt4u said:
That's actually pretty cool. Nicely done.

I was chatting with an ex-pro the other day and the topic of Nuke Proof came up. Turns out he was sponsored by them in the late nineties. They flew him out to Michigan to test ride this new proto race bike (your Reactor). He said it was downright dangerous how poorly the front end reacted and how the fork would gouge his knees. He told them he wouldn't race it and they said it was this bike or hit the road. He quit on the spot .

The Lord giveth and the lord taketh...... :LOL:

i really like the look of these and you have done a good job building it, but as Mike (ride vintage) has said, i can't imagine it will handle that well, the effective head angle looks really steep which with a long-ish stem still typical of the day would give dodgy handling aswel as toe/wheel overlap. that said i do like the design itself as the suspension unit is tucked neatly out of the way.

i wonder if it would be possible to change the linkages in some way to get a better set up to improve the handling.

:)

Back