Peugeot ??? Maverick Cycles

daveruss

Retro Newbie
Greetings, and Merry Chrimbo to you all. :xmas-cool:

Apologies for the newbieness, but I have to ask a question... I guess this is kinda the usual story around here; I got an old bike from my dads garage while I was over for Christmas (Roast Ham andTurkey for dinner- was delicious, thanks for asking...) and have claimed the old roadie he used to ride about for fun as he's hurt his back. Now, I'm not one for the dark arts of riding on the road, but recently the mud out on them hills has been doing my head in. Maybe I'm getting old myself, but I digress...

After quite some cleaning- as my father obviously doesn't have the bike-OCD-gene, that one can only assume comes from my mothers side- I can see I've got a Peugeot frame made out of Reynolds 753. It's pretty well kitted up for its day from what I'm told, and my limited knowledge of this kind of gear. Campagnolio rims, Shimano XTR chainset with a Specialized front cog... All seems pretty good to me, as far as names go.

I am told Maverick Cycles from Pudsey used it as a team bike at some point, hence the logo. My dad says he was told by the bloke in the shop that the chap who rode it was known as a bit of a Maverick himself and was nicknamed as such by fellow riders; he apparently was known for riding off on his own during races, being a bit of a wild one, etc.

Here's pa picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51987715@N06/11576433726/

I know it's got a few bits that have probably been added since it was ridden, but I'm pretty sure it's retro ;)

If anyone's got any history about the bike, or the club, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for your time,
Dave

Wasn't the shop run by Dave Laverick? I remember him riding MTB races in the early 70's and his shop opposite the Civic Centre (originally called 'Over The Hill'). Don't ever remember him riding on the road though or even having that much interest in it.

Back