MM 08 Aftermath Thread - with Results!

Some great pics already. Should send the one of kev to the mm commentators, he was certainly one of their favourites!

A couple still owe for t-s/mugs, if you could give me a shout that'd be great.
Also have one spare size L MM shirt. If anyone missed out or wants a spare send me a pm.

cchris2lou":3tvtmz9m said:
Course was excellent in the dry , realy enjoyed it .
Different story in the wet ( wait and see pic of my bike after my night lap :LOL: ) .

Seeing your bike at 5.45am put the fear of god in me :shock: , knowing that I was about to venture out at 6am in that mud.......!!!! :LOL:

So how did it work then? Are you required to ride through the night, or can you ride until dark and then wait till dawn to start again? I am bad enough in the daytime, let alone in the dark...

aftermath

what a couple of days ,was realy great to meet everybody .was amazed at the response the stand got think we had a good variation of bikes on .think if we had a swear box with us and donated it to charity gus would have been able to fill it on hisown :LOL: .also who has been teaching my little boy to talk like a southerner :LOL: .
the course wasa bit more chalanging than i thought but after the first big climb it did get easier until the heavens opened but i still managed whoop the arse of a fair few modern bikers on the dh ,think i will do it again but i will have to find myself a better training ground ,everest springs to mind :LOL: .onceagain it was great meeting you all and hope to see you all soon :)

South Bound":2lupdult said:
So how did it work then? Are you required to ride through the night, or can you ride until dark and then wait till dawn to start again?

Basically, whether your in a team or solo, its just a case of do as many laps as you can in 24hrs.

However, when you’re in a team only one of you can be out on the track at a time, and pass a baton (wrist band) when you change rider.

Our team had planned initially to do one lap at a time until dark (about 10am) and then 2 laps each during the night (to allow for sleeping). However, crap weather during the night made the course too hard going, so coupled with fatigue, we sacked this idea.

In the day in the dry we knocked out a lap in about an hour. At night, in the wet, Chris did a 2hr 40min lap! When I went out at 6am, I did a 2hr. After this we were all too knackered and called it a day.

Fab weekend!!

Not faced cleaning the Attitude as of yet :shock:

Was great to meet a few new faces, and i think we had the best camp/heckle tent there ( thanks to Heathy with his "you can do it, if you B&Q it!!)

Roll on next year where i will be part of a race team and not just nab ed's number getting a few laps in under his name, and making sure Gus was last with the last amount of laps !! :LOL:

Wow, what a great weekend! Good to see everybody again plus a few new faces.

Highlights for me:

Seeing Big Ed powering up the Kenda climb on his SS :shock:

MM08 T-Shirts :cool:

The very retro-friendly and knowledgeable commentator who I let ride my Yeti. "The front mech isn't quite period correct though is it!" :shock:

Seeing Rory Hitchens (from DBR) again after 13 years

Being caught by and then following Superstrong for a mile or two through the back section of the course :cool: Me shouting "Riders right/left" for both of us :shock: Superstrong not realising I was shouting for both of us and getting out of my way :LOL:

The Heckle Tent with Slinky's PA System

Birdman's 51 minute lap on Sat PM and double shift on Sunday morning. Great efforts from the feathery fella!

Sitting on the Kenda climb with cold beers on Sunday PM (more heckling!)

Lowlights:

Heathy's crash. Get well soon buddy ;)

The rain which turned a mile of challenging singletrack into a slippery, often dangerous hike

My puncture 200m into my practice lap

All in a great weekend. A few aches today (courtesy of more stunt crashing for MrK's camera) but roll on MM09!

Memories already started rolling in...

Initial memories banked on the drive home (more in the Captain's Race Report later...):

- Our limited edition Brazil 1970 shirts - awesome!
- empty Malibu bottles and OK magazines
- the full trenches-style horror that lay in wait on course - as seen in the face of Max returning at 03:08
- The Jez 'back, sack and crack' no-show
- the Slinky Sound System
- Teddy Edwards continuing to abuse his body against medical/Mrs Ed advice
- the ever changing moods of the Malvern micro climate
- the Retrobike tented village - it's official: we are a 'massive'
- the 'Action Man' tent
- seeing Mrs K complete her first ever race lap (and still smiling)
- Mrs Ed's spicy red cabbage/Mr Ed's cheap Filipino rum chasers
- 'Eye of the Tiger' on repeat at 'Heckler's Corner'
- Kev's continued 'stunting' in front of camera
- the big love for us Retrobikers all around the course (sod your ironing boards...)
- my team of Sports Casuals sticking to their grim task without a murmur of dissent (not within ear shot at least... :) )
- the 'new faces' adding diversity and bikes to our thing
- Chris's f*****d race bike - the horror, the horror!
- seeing the RB possee on the Kenda Climb on the last 'victory' lap

More, much more, upon full recovery...

Capt K

Attachments

• Backing it in....jpg
    Backing it in....jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,659
Great weekend, course much better than last year IMO.

Good to see the old faces and new ones too.

Key memories for me..
- Realising that this huge area was full of rerobikers tents. impressive
- Hilts strangely having identical food stuffs to me packed. Right down to the custardy mulle rice.
- The first lap which was more a chat about tea and cake as I rode round with JV
- Following people who had the bike handling skills of a slug, and seeing them slip/fall/slide/swear at every bend
- Realising that conti 1.5 are THE best tyres for MM. period. Made the mud fun :)
- Seeing fellow RB on course, gives a great feeling seeing someone you know.
- Having to Q for showers at 2am, wtf??
- Having every other person, inlcuding some of the elite riders commenting on the disco :cool: 'That sounds SO cool'
- Trying to actually look at the new Yeti ASR-c, but getting nowhere as guy was more interested in photoing the Goat :roll:
- Great pasty shop :)
- Taking the RC35 to the max with tyre/crown clashes
- Starting at top of steep grassy DH, seeing someone looking 'bad' at the bottom. You know its bad when you say 'are you alright?' and get no answer...move his bike only to see next 8 people crash and burn big stylee down same part (see slug handling comment above - it was really not hard even though it was 1am)
- Ed, ever the hero
- Kevs 'still lives with his mom' comment at the start line from the commentator. class.
- JVs mum, providing food for the masses as always :cool:
- Nobbers stopped on the outside of the tight steep hairpin, meaning a sort of turny endo with arse over the back manouvre needed to go past them :evil:
- Drinking red bull on course at 1am, actually tasted good :). Though they said it was with vodka. Think they were lieing..

Think thats about it for now, sure theres more.
:D

Back