Tarting up SPD-SL pedals

47p2

Senior Retro Guru
I needed a pair of pedals for the Ridley Oval track bike and there were a couple of pairs of cheap used Shimano PDR540s in my garage, so rather than splash out on new pedals I fitted a pair of these. They are scuffed and scratched but in perfect working order so tonight I decided to clean them up.

I started by removing the rear sprung clamping part and the plastic sole plate, I then used wet & dry grade 400 to remove the original paint, scuffs and any cast marks that were hidden by the paint, then a rub over with wet & dry grade 1000 and next grade 2000 which makes the polishing up with Solvol Autosol a 5 minute job

photo-9.jpg

photo-8-1.jpg

You have done a lovely job on these. You mention the 'lastic sole plate' - it that the black plastic part of the clamp system? If so, how did you remove it?

Thanks,
Richard

@ Nob
No the frame isn't chrome, it's black with silver, gold and white and just looks chrome in the picture as the fluorescent light hit the paintwork.

P1010622.jpg

@ Richard
The plastic sole is the baseplate part, the rear sprung part is the clamp system and is held on with a single Phillips screw

Another nice job and i love the bike too!!!

I see the black plastic bit in the pic above. Did you remove the plastic clamp to get the polishing done? I am asking as i am wondering how it can be removed.

Richard

Yes I removed the plastic clamp which is held in place with a Phillips screw head on the inside edge of the pedal at the crank arm side
See number 6 on the image below

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-12-23 at 13.58.17.png
    Screen shot 2013-12-23 at 13.58.17.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 599
Thanks for that. I have the older DA pedals and where you have a screw i have a bar which seems to be pressed into the pedal. I am trying to work out how to remove it without damage.

These pedals -

Richard

There should be a pin of sorts on the left side in your picture) (towards the rear of the pedal which could be an Allen Key hex fitting

Back