Mercian Superlight Project

Mercian Wheels by JuanM58, on Flickr

Now improved, with added wheels. After rather a long pause due to pressures of the day job, I built up the wheels at the weekend. 28 hole Royce hubs laced to Halo Retro rims with Sapim Race butted spokes; Halo Retro skewers and 23mm Vittoria Rubinos. Very pleased with how the wheels have turned out and while there are no transmission parts fitted, it all feels incredibly light. Superlight in fact.

Midlife distressing bars still fitted but I have an alternative that I will fit shortly. I had been thinking of using a Campag GS chainset that I happened to have but I am now considering Suntour Superbe Pro having seen a Suntour equiped Vincatore at the weekend. I also have my doubts about the Weinmann 500s and think that it might warrant better, and stoppier brakes. More soon.

Cool project. Should be a sweet ride upon completion. I agree loose those bars. You bike deserves better brakes than those weimann 500s.

Just a brief update on progress with the Mercian project. The bars have been changed for some ITMs but I have a set of 3ttt Gimondi bars lined up for the final build when I get a suitable stem.

Chainset is Suntour Superbe Pro courtesy of siverlightning with Superbe pedals from EBay, and a 5-speed Suntour Perfect block from the CTC forum. A Suntour Cyclone rear mech is from Tel OTP and front mech is Campag Record from EBay which I bought for spares as it has a neat welded repair on the cage, but it looks pretty good and will do until I find something better.

The brakes have been changed for a set of Campag Record, short reach I think; a bargain from EBay as the were not listed as Record. I was trying to go away from Campag on this build but having stripped down and rebuilt the brakes today there's no denying it is great kit, beautifully made with quality materials. Saddle has been changed for a Ti Swift that I had on one of my other bikes. TBH I only need to fit a chain and I'm away, but look at the weather! I wish it were June!

I intend to get a better camera after Christmas so I'll post some updated pictures then.

P1010005 by JuanM58, on Flickr

P1010006 by JuanM58, on Flickr

P1010007 by JuanM58, on Flickr

P1010008 by JuanM58, on Flickr

P1010009 by JuanM58, on Flickr

Here are a few snaps of the Mercian in what will probably be its initial road-going configuration.

Suntour Pro cranks have been added with SRAM chain; Weinmann brake callipers changed for Campag Record and Brooks Pro changed for Brooks Ti Swift. 3ttt Gimondi bars with 115mm Cinelli A1 stem have been fitted. Otherwise it is the same setup as previously reported, mainly a mixture of Campag and Suntour with Royce 28 hole hubs and Halo Retro rims. I have some leather bar tape to put on once I am satisfied with the bar setup.

And how does it ride - well, I don't know yet! It's very cold and icy out there at the moment, hence the hurried snaps, and I'll wait for better weather before trying it on the road. But even taking it down from the garage joists and wheeling it outside it feels very light and lively, as if it wants to get going! I am hoping that it will at least be the sum of its parts. I'll update with the final build spec when the weather improves and I can start testing.

Yeah nice to see some Sun-Tour... I like it too.. with a smattering of Campag and Retrofriction.. :) I was just wondering if the brake levers pull into the bars, given that they are so high on them? I understood TTT 'Gimondi' to be a similar bend to Cinelli Criterium- there is no way you could get the levers that far up Cinelli Criterium without them sticking out sideways?

Also, you may have a 26.4mm stem (Cinelli) with 26mm bars (TTT) there, which could stress the bar-clamp of the stem? If so, may be worth shimming.

Not finding fault- It's a great bike. Just sayin', ... as they say...

The Gimondi bars do appear to be 3ttt version of Cinelli's Criterium; the bend looks to be identical. The lever position is a bit random at the moment and they will get adjusted once I start riding. You are right about the stem, it's a rattling good fit and will need to be shimmed. The plus point was that I didn't mark the bars threading them through!

1st Run by JuanM58, on Flickr

So a bit of an update on progress with my Mercian. This has been essentially ready for the road since the New Year but I have been waiting for the weather to improve before taking it out. During a little light fettling yesterday afternoon the stem clamp bolt sheared. It is a 26.4mm Cinelli and although I shimmed out the 26mm 3ttt bars I guess that I probably overtightened it, although one never knows the history of these second hand components; I'll take responsibility for this one! I replaced it with a SS button head allen bolt and a domed nut, which seems to do the job rather better than the original arrangement tbh.

Anyway, what's it like then? It's terrific! Light, quick, a long-legged thoroughbred; a real E-Type Jag of a bike! The Suntour Cyclone (thanks Tel!) derailleur coupled with the Simplex retrofriction levers give really quick and accurate gear selection. The Suntour brake levers and Campag calipers are nicely stoppy. The Royce hubs are out of this world! They feel really smooth despite the terrible road surfaces and complement the frame; I had been a little aprehensive about the 28 spoke wheels but so far so good. Just the bike for a quick 20 miles on a warm spring morning! It feels pretty good 'straight out of the box' but I need to do a little teaking before finishing off with some black leather bar tape. I'll put some more pics up when everything is finished.

Re:

Final 5 by JuanM58, on Flickr

Final 3 by JuanM58, on Flickr

Final 4 by JuanM58, on Flickr

Final 2 by JuanM58, on Flickr

Final 1 by JuanM58, on Flickr

Well, the Superlight is feeling nicely settled down now so I carried out a few final tweaks and completed the bars with black leather tape at the weekend. Overall, I am hugely impressed with the Mercian and if you ever get the opportunity to own one, grab it with both hands! Highly recommended! So few snaps and the final spec... although that might change of course, and if I ever manage to take a photo that does it justice I'll post it here.
Frame: 1976 Mercian Superlight, Reynolds 531 double butted tubing
Headset: Campagnolo Mirage
Wheels: Royce low flange 28 hole, 700C Halo Retro Rims, Sapim Race S/S butted spokes, Vittoria Rubino tyres
Chainset: Suntour Superbe Pro 52/42 with Tange/Stronglight BB, SRAM chain
Pedals: Suntour Superbe, CInelli clips with Velo Orange leather straps
Gears: Suntour Perfect 14-24 5 speed freewheel; Suntour Cyclone Mk2 Rear derailleur; Camagnolo Nuovo Record front, Simplex Retrofriction levers.
Brakes: Campagnolo Record piccolo callipers, Suntour Superbe levers
Handlebars: 3ttt Competizione Gimondi bars with 3ttt Record Strada 80mm stem; Spa leather bar tape and Velox plugs.
Seat: Brooks Swift TI on Campagnolo aero seatpost

Back