2012 Nukeproof Mega

Re: 2012 Nukeproof Mega *work in progress*

They zocchis? I've always like zocchis, the seem to take the most abuse and be less delicate! But again I'd not have a clue what's what when looking.

Are the 36 floats air forks then? And the van a coil?

Maybe I should just go coil all round and see how that feels?

The Marzocchi 55's were a bit ropey in when they first came out but the later ones will be loads better. Easy to service too. I like the way they are coil with air preload...best of both worlds.

Floats are air, Vans are coil and Talas are air but with travel adjust and probably best avoided because they can be a bit sticky in their action. Vans are normally cheap because people want air these days.

I love my 36's. No matter how good air forks get, they still can't match a coil fork in my experience. They work well for trail riding but did well when I went to Antur Stiniog a few weeks ago.

My CCDBa rear shock is about the best air shock I've used but a coil shock is still more supple but will bob more. My Rune is pretty good but my mates Enduro with a coil shock is super plush...it does bob a lot though. Air shocks seem to have a better pedalling platform.

Yeah I've done quite a lot of research and you've basically summarised my last 2 weeks worth of research in that last reply.

I do like the feel of the mega as it is, but I just wish it would rebound a bit quicker!

For example a bunny hop, you compress the suspension and spring back up, but the bike saps all that energy! I want it to be quicker without being like a pogo stick! I have no issues with the compression at all really.

A shock with adjustable compression would give you a bit more of a platform to pop off...and stop the shock / bike sucking up any energy for hops etc.

I guess with the bike being pretty slack, it's harder to hop (my Rune is harder to hop than my SX trail was because its slacker and longer). Shock tunes can make a big difference but they cost quite a bit.

Can you reduce the volume in your Monarch? This made a big difference to my DHX Air and stopped it wallowing and feeling saggy and boggy.

I don't think the monarch is as tuneable as the fox equivalents... I've heard the a fox rear shock with a low volume can would be better for my heavy weight.

As for forks, I've found the following at a reasonable price? "2012 Fox 32 fit rlc kashima 150mm"

Everything is so confusing! So many different opinions, and it's an expensive game buying stuff to try it.

Might just sell it and buy a hardtail. Lol

You've got a hardtail!

I'm not really up on what can be done to the Rock Shox shocks, but I'm sure that TFT and Loco can do something for you but it'll cost a bit.

I'd steer clear of the 150mm 32's; they're absolute noodles. If you focus on the downs rather than climbs I think you'll hate them, especially on something like a Mega which will encourage you to pin the fun stuff. I'd go for the burliest forks you can.

Hmmmm!! I'll just have to see what comes up after Xmas, I can only really afford the sektors at the minute! And that's only because the domain would cover most of the cost. Still in two minds though.

Right, I've sorted my rear shock issues.
The shock now feels lovely! Loads quicker/more lively and much plusher too!

So how much did this cost? Naff all! About 20 mins in the garage and an old innertube!

20minutes with an inner tube?! Ok what did you do I'm intrigued!

Mega looks great, bet it's a hoot to ride. :D

Did you bodge some inner tube under the air sleeve to reduce the volume?

It does make a big difference doesn't it? Although I've decided that the Rune is slightly too progressive so have increased mine slightly.

Latest posts

Back