Dekerf Team SL 853 Single speed

jinjrich

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I'm really excited about this one....

This all started about a year ago when i saw biocandy had SteveW's old dekerf SS for sale. I wasnt in a position to buy at the time, but a speculative email a couple of months ago, a bit of negotiation, and here it is.

As a few of you might know this one was the only 853 Single speed Dekerf did, so its pretty rare! It also featured on Bike radar and in What MTB:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... ame-31325/

I've always been a singlespeed fan. It makes sense to me when i have little time to ride it makes things more interesting. I also like the simple aesthetics of a nicely made SS, and this is the nicest i've seen :)

I've started to gather some parts. Before you say it, yes i know i have canti brakes and theres no cable hanger at the back, but ive got a couple of ways round this ;)

So heres some Pics (excuse my crusty old carpet!)

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

Threw a few parts at it to check the size...

Looks pretty daft but non of these parts will be used.

IMG_17001.jpg

Rich, you will love riding the Dekerf, I guarantee it.

P2 forks will work well if you are going rigid, I have some on my 94 Mountain and they suit the frame perfectly.

Looking forward to watching this build.

Thanks guys. Neil, I was looking for something special like the Caygill, albeit something in the right size for me... I'm over the moon with this, its very well built and unique.

I do a fair bit of trail riding and MTB centres, so may go the 'semi retro' route and fit V brakes, and dare i say it, suspension, to make it more capable. But the other side of me thinks 'keep it old school', after all i do have a more modern trail bike already.

the one thing I'm convinced of- it WILL have white industries hubs, which i've always wanted! May have to wait a couple of months to save up...

You'll be surprised how well it will cope with trails as a rigid.

I took mine to Haldon near Exeter a few weeks ago and rode both the blue and red trails without any bother. Yes, you have to watch your line a little, but that is so easy on a DeKerf, you just spot the route and ride it.

I have Cane Creek Direct Curve V brakes on mine and they work a treat, powerful, but with really good modulation.

However you build it, you will like it, they are great frames.

NeilM":3gewukmv said:
You'll be surprised how well it will cope with trails as a rigid.

However you build it, you will like it, they are great frames.

You probably won't stop at one though...
No-one does!

Back