suntour / shimano problems

cchris2lou

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have put gears bakc on the M2 using a XTR 9 speed rear mech and suntour XC pro thumbshifters . the shift great but when on the last 5 sprockets the chain goes back dwon on its own . basically the thumbshifter just go down a gear , then 2 , then 3 etc....

I had to hold the thumbshifter all along the hill to stay on the same gear . I even broke my chain .

What shoud I do ?

again!

I keep on about this but...
Try putting the inner cable on the wrong side of the clamp bolt, this changes the pull / swing ratio of the mech (think levers and fulcrums).

See www.sheldonbrown.com

hope this helps.

I have done it and it shifts fine but , the thumbshifter does not stay in place and starts to come down .

Chris,

You already adjusted the rotation smoothness with the screw on top the shifter??

melvin ,

that is the next thing I am going to try , and get a longer chain .

thnkas for the tip .

Shimano / Suntour

The clamp reversal trick only works Shimano <> Campag. Suntour were notorious for their incompatibility even between their own components. Chain breakage was common with Suntour and each groupset kind of needed its own specific chain.

It's one of the main reasons for Suntour's downfall as you couldn't upgrade individual parts, you have to do the whole drivetrain at once, unlike - say - sticking an XT mech on a Deore eqiuipped bike.

That said, if your shifter is moving on it's own, it's either broke or not done up properly.

Terry...

On the Sheldon site , he says that autoshifting is due to the cable guide under the frame being blocked or not greased properly .

But I am starting to thing that my shifter is a bit tired as it moved down when I pulled on the cable from under the frame . Is it normal ?

No, not normal at all :shock: Suspect that your shifter is truly w*nked.

Don't know what to suggest, there are enough early 90's XT bits for sale ;)

actually , it works fine now .

put some grease on the plastic bit under the bb , changed the top jockey wheel et VOILA !

except that i keep breaking my chain . but I think it is because I use a 9 sp chain with a 8 sp cassette . Just bought a 8 sp chain so we ll see .

dont like the feel of XT thumbies , just love the Suntour ones .

Back