Merlin complete bike - what's it worth?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I've been signposted to a lovely looking Merlin (thanks Elev12k!) and am seriously interested especially as I will be in Holland a couple of days after my 40th and fancy treating myself to something tasty but not strictly essentail.

Spec is as follows:
20" Merlin Titanium frame with rigid forks
XTR groupset
Syncros quill stem
Titec Ti bar
Grafton brakes
Ritchey cranks and brakelevers
Wheels - Campag rims, Ringle hubs
Chris King headset
Thomson seatpost

Seller is asking 1,750 euros. Looks in very good condition from the photos but what do you reckon is a reasonable price? Want to try to stop heart ruling head (although isn't that what it's about anyway?)

Cheers

Ed

Depends on whether it's an XLM or a Mountain, and what the forks are. 1750 euros sounds a bit steep, to be honest with these sort of things it's generally down to the buyer and seller to work out a price that's acceptable to both parties. I'd go for more like 13-1400 Euros, i.e. about £1000

Thanks for your thoughts Simon, it's a Mountain and the forks are, as far as I know, nothing super pimp.

past ebay auctions are usually a good indication of market values - although in the end it really boils down to what you are willing to pay and the seller is willing to let it go for. this one in Germany right now is the best analogue i think and around 1000Euro would have been my guess as well (and i am a Merlin addict and closely watch the "market")

http://cgi.ebay.de/Merlin-Titanium-...ryZ30746QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here's another one and the higher price reflects the blingbling new XTR parts i guess

http://cgi.ebay.de/Merlin-Titanium-...ryZ30746QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

prices in the US usually are between $750 and 1000.

Does the one you are looking at have the 1 1/8 or the 1" head tube? For some the old 1" adds value for others not.

Carsten

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks Carsten, really helpful and completely consistent with other advice I've received.

As you say, it's ultimately down to what I can/will pay and what the seller will accept but as it's a nonessential purchase (aren't they all?) I really don't want to pay through the nose. 1,000 euros would be around my limit and, it appears, reasonably close to market value (whatever that is), but the seller currently says the lowest he'll go is 1,600 euros! I am due to see it in a couple of weeks time which may be a bad move although at least it'll crystallise my thoughts if not my wallet.

Although I could be wrong I think that it's a 1 inch fork .

Latest posts

Back