94 Kona Cinder Cone!

nathanwinter

Retro Newbie
a new acquistion -- my first Kona! I remember lusting over the MBA review for the original. this one's far, far from it obviously, but I think it can be nice - once I ditch the Trico saddle, and get a silver stem and post running. any ideas for appropriate replacements? silver Control Tech or Salsa, maybe? no ideas on a saddle. suggestions/offers appreciated!

also, any suggestions for ditching the clamp on cable guide? I do have some xt cantis I could run, but the xtr Vs are really nice...

Attachments

• bike 001-1-mid2.jpg
    bike 001-1-mid2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,936
clockworkgazz -- I've been scouting some year correct p2s on ebay. any idea how many size forks (as in, length of blades, etc.) there were -- and how I can know if I'd get the right sized p2 for my bike, which is 19"? thanks!

I'd say either a 390mm Axel to Crown (AtoC) or a 410mm AtoC.

No more or the handling will be more chopper than MTB!

1 1/8th threadless - Mine are currently 218mm long, 19'' frame (steerer) but thats all dependant on stem and stem height preffered.

Hope this helps :D

or go the quill route with a velocity stem ;)

here are the catalogues

newbie to the kona app. society so not sure on the p2 options, was sure they were standard size for all frame sizes, would look at triple butted p2's given the choice.

I am sure a few pairs have been up for sale here recently, worth doing a search in the for sale section, also putting a request in the wanted section will get you a few more options. Most people on here are not looking to make top dollar (just a bit of money to feed the habit :LOL: ) unlike e-bay, so you may pick up a veritable bargain ;)

Good luck

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 1,859
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,859
bin the bombers!!!

They are a great fork, just not on that bike :(

P2 is the right way to go for sure....im riding my rigid kona more and more....

If that was mine, I put Project 2 forks, new saddle like Charge spoon, another tyre same as the front for the rear, the rest looked good, btw nice bike and like the frame colour.

nathanwinter":2c70dwz6 said:
clockworkgazz -- I've been scouting some year correct p2s on ebay. any idea how many size forks (as in, length of blades, etc.) there were -- and how I can know if I'd get the right sized p2 for my bike, which is 19"? thanks!
The P2s on this fine example are the correct ones for 1994, and happen to be nicely colour-matched to your frame (incidentally the 95 P2s were identical).

The frame is designed for 41cm a-c P2s, as were used from 1994 onwards. I suggest you make sure you get triple-butted ones, as they are much better (and half a pound lighter) than plain-gauge ones.

Obviously if you go for 96 or earlier P2s, they will be threaded and you will need to go back to a threaded headset and quill stem. And nothing wrong with that whatsoever. If you want to stay with ahead though, you really need 97 forks as per the second photo, as P2s were black from 98 onwards.

The steerer for a size 19 was 163mm (threaded) and for threadless Kona cut them to 205mm, but you might just get away with a minimum of 195mm with no stem stackers.

Attachments

• P2s.jpg
    P2s.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,786
  • 1994 Cinder Cone size 18 w matching tyres.jpg
    1994 Cinder Cone size 18 w matching tyres.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,786
Back