Modern groupset on a Retro frame - anyone done it

With that frame I think you might be pushing the limits of visual harmony mixing old and new. The chrome clips for cables and gear levers wouldn't sit right with modern "sleekness". That's just my opinion of course!

It's a nice looking frame BTW, I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Mark.

I know this is an old thread but hoping for some advice. I've got an 80's masi prestige and want to put a modern campy 11s Athena group on it. It will be the alloy version so hopefully will look ok but with added zing! Any advice of anticipated problems? I may have to widen the drop out width to fit a modern wheelset but anything else? Any probs I may come across with the bb?

Re:

bedraggled":2v2ai7cu said:
Going to the bike jumble at the Velodrome tomorrow so might change my mind again.
As it's a nice day I took the opportunity to take a picture of the frame set I'm looking to build up.
Spent ages waiting for a nice one in my size so I want to be happy with the final build.

I found this old thread by using search. Did you ever get the build finished?

Basically, I'm looking to 'retromod' my Ti, so I can race it in the LVRC next year (I happen to alos be 40 next year). My plan is to fit 11sp campag (hopefully record), and use my usual race wheels (boras/shamals).

i know this is partial sacrelidge, but I just love the raleigh, but don't ride it enough. If it had modern stuff it woudl get ridden in the spirit is was made.

Re:

Sorry yes I do know that you don't need an old bike to race in the LVRC, it's just that I fancy using it rather than my 'normal' race bike (which I'd still race in the BC races)

Re: Re:

mpatts":3gl1hl3x said:
bedraggled":3gl1hl3x said:
Going to the bike jumble at the Velodrome tomorrow so might change my mind again.
As it's a nice day I took the opportunity to take a picture of the frame set I'm looking to build up.
Spent ages waiting for a nice one in my size so I want to be happy with the final build.

I found this old thread by using search. Did you ever get the build finished?

Basically, I'm looking to 'retromod' my Ti, so I can race it in the LVRC next year (I happen to alos be 40 next year). My plan is to fit 11sp campag (hopefully record), and use my usual race wheels (boras/shamals).

i know this is partial sacrelidge, but I just love the raleigh, but don't ride it enough. If it had modern stuff it woudl get ridden in the spirit is was made.
I did build the Raleigh up and eventually used period Campagnolo Nuovo Record because the frame was too old to use modern components, in addition to no braze ons it had nutted brakes so there were too many compromises to get a modern group set to work.
I eventually sold it to buy a later frame that was more suitable and built that up with modern components.
I'm on the look out for a Red frame to build up the same way.

Never miss an opportunity to post pictures :LOL:

Attachments

• Raleigh1.jpg
    Raleigh1.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 1,391
  • Raleigh2.jpg
    Raleigh2.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 1,389
Re:

This is a subject that often raises a lot of discussion, but seemingly little enthusiasm when builds are posted.

I've just finished this Keith Coppell.

DSC_0069_zpsnyxpmmso.jpg

Re: Re:

NeilM":374xx62x said:
This is a subject that often raises a lot of discussion, but seemingly little enthusiasm when builds are posted.

I've just finished this Keith Coppell

plenty of enthusiasm from me :) just put a picture of my Aende in the autumn thread. some of the nicest bikes I have ridden are modern kit on steel frames. Lovely build that Coppell of yours, would certainly pop my eyelids open if I saw it out on a winter weekend run.

Back