Olmo Competition Special

Thanks for the nice comments! Bike is in a stunning condition indeed. I didn't have to do major cleaning work: just cleaning up some dirt and polish the parts and frame again. The bike has been ridden, but not much. All the parts are in excellent condition!

@ Johnsqual: Yes, it's that bike! This one was for auction in a local 2ndhand shop. During one month, people could put an enveloppe with their bid in a closed box. When the month was over, the highest bidder (me :) ) could have the bike. I won over the second bidder with a couple of euros!

As you can see, the headtube is painted in a gray tint. I've contacted Olmo Italy and they confirmed me that this was done by the bikeshop. Also the 'Special' decal is an aftermarket thing. The bike was sold by Hugo Dehaes, a pro cycler who had a shop a couple of kilometres from where I live. His name and phonenumber are mentioned on the chrome chainstainprotector: I'll keep it there!

The wooden prop is still in place: I've added a pic of it in this post. Love the file marks on the inside of the fork!

I've also added a picture of the pantographed brake levers. The bike still has the original gum world logo hoods. And some before/after pics from cleaning the original Olmo straps!

zRv1cqh.jpg

f3bSydK.jpg

4HwL2UU.jpg

pKSeEMX.jpg

Manouche: I've sent you a pm ;)

The bike is almost finished at the moment. It's completely built up at the moment... The only thing I still have to do is polishing the front wheel/hub. I'll post some pictures tomorrow or the day after tomorrow if I find some time!

As promised, some pictures. As said there's still some minor work to do on the bike: the front rim & hub still have to be cleaned, I need new O-rings for the brake calipers and I have to take a look to the rear brake handle 'cause the cable isn't coming out straight. Will post more (and better) pics when it's completely finished :).

The complete bike, size 60:

aMs7ZEk.jpg

I used pearlescent white cable outers. They go nicely with the pearl blue colour of the bike, imho! Also notice the blue valve caps, who match the paintwork. Really like the Cinelli stem too.

YNnwGt9.jpg

Drivetrain. Pedals are SL with original Olmo straps.

n82JPYv.jpg

I love the chrome on the dropouts. Derailleur is pat. 78. Also notice the chainstay protector: It's a cheap sticker, but the name 'Hugo Dehaes', phone number and adress refer to a bike shop owned by ex Belgian pro cyclist Hugo Dehaes. This bike comes from his shop, that is located only a few miles from where I live.

cjmi2Hb.jpg

Just some shots:

7A4qwwB.jpg

wvdeh0n.jpg

Original Silca pump:

xeijvBq.jpg

Nice ass:

2DLqIap.jpg

Feel free to comment, especially if you see things I can do better on this bike!

It's perfect in my eyes.
You maybe need some decals for the rims. And you don't need these valve caps. :)

kgt":260n4ztq said:
It's perfect in my eyes.
You maybe need some decals for the rims. And you don't need these valve caps. :)

Decals are on the rims, but not clearly visible at this pictures! Rims are Nisi. And why no valve caps? Or do you mean no blue valvecaps :)?

Would be nice to have an idea about the value of this bike. Anyone? Pm is ok :)

Spec sheet of the bike:

Frame & fork: Olmo Competition, Columbus steel

Headset: Campagnolo Record
Stem: Cinelli 1R with early version logo, Olmo panthographed
Handlebar: Cinelli Criterium
Bar Tape: NOS Benotto

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnolo Record, Olmo pantographed
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Record, Olmo pantographed
Brake Pads: Campagnolo
Brake Outers: Jagwire Pearlescent

Shifters: Campagnolo Record, Olmo pantographed
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Record/Gran Sport
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Nuovo Record

Cassette: Regina Oro 5sp
Chain: Sedis
Cranks: CLmpagnolo Record Mexico
Chainrings: Campagnolo Nuovo Record, Olmo pantographed
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Pedals: Campagnolo SL

Rims: Nisi
Hubs: Campagnolo Record
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo
Tubes: Vittoria Rally Competition

Saddle: Selle Italia Superleggera
Seatpost: Campagnolo Record, Olmo panthographed
Seatpost Binder: Campagnolo

Bottle Cage: /
Extras: Olmo pantographed Silca pump, Olmo straps, Olmo barplugs

I mean no valves at all. It is supposed to be a race frame.
A price around 1500 euros would be normal IME.

Latest posts

Back