Help ID my '97 S Works (?) Stumpy Comp M2 please!

bennyboy

Old School Hero
Hi guys, been reading this great forum for a little while but just registered.
Thought I'd put a quick pic up of the steed, will do better ones when I get the chance.
Any thoughts welcome, as there are still a few mysteries behind this bike, (even though I built it!) and I think pretty much every part of it has a story :LOL:

Frame: 97? Stumpy Comp M2 S Works (So the stickers say...)

Fork:RockShox Judy SL Air

Headset: FSA Orbit XLII
Stem: Fred Salmon one piece with the..
Handlebar: :shock:
Grips: Yeti
Barends: Dunno, cheapo.

Brakes: Deore XT
Brake Pads: Deore XT
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: Deore LX

Shifters: Deore XT Thumbies :cool:
Front Derailleur: Deore XT
Rear Derailleur: Deore XT
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cranks: Suntour XC Pro
Chainrings: Sugino, Cannondale, BBB
Bottom Bracket: Shimano sealed, unsure which.
Pedals: Time ATAC

Hub Skewers: Spesh front, Tranz X rear
Rims: Mavic X517
Hubs: Spesh front, Hope rear
Tyres: Specialized Captains
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Specialized Phenom
Seatpost: RSP
Seatpost QR: Ringle

Weight: ?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 1,913
Yeah, that's because it was built over a long time out of bits a I could get my hands on as I couldn't afford to buy a whole one :oops: :LOL: Hence only some of it is retro, sorry.

Then again, I guess the main offender here is the bar ends, as pretty much everything else is red white or blue :?: (excluding black n chrome)
I'll have to strip them back and polish them up.

Anyone have any thoughts on the year of this bike please? I bought the frame knowing that it had had a respray and sticker but I knew the guy quite well.
Mind you, this was all about 10 years ago!

Cheers

Ben

Check the first two numbers of the serial number which should be either on the bottom of the BB or the inside of the non-drive-side dropout.

Thanks for that, I'll take another look.
From memory when I looked before it was quite an odd number that didnt seem to indicate year etc, but I'll look again and post it up, see if you guys can decipher it! :LOL:

So is my bike not really retro enough for you lads n lasses? :cry:

bennyboy":10yffnfr said:
So is my bike not really retro enough for you lads n lasses? :cry:

I like it. Struggling a bit with the stem and bar ends but other than that it looks a good solid usable ride. :cool:

cherrybomb":19uhvt0l said:
I like it. Struggling a bit with the stem and bar ends but other than that it looks a good solid usable ride. :cool:

Thanks.
Yeah the stem, bar ends and seatpost are all on the list of things to change when funds allow and the right stuff comes along.
I think the bar ends are just cheapies, the stem is quite an oddity (read cheap :LOL: ) in that it and the handlebars are one piece! :shock: Made by Fred Salmon...
The seatpost is RSP if I'm not mistaken, so you can see the need to upgrade these items.
That said, yes it is very usable, rides so nice and got me to brighton no probs on Sunday :cool:

As mentioned above, I've had a look at the number on the drop out.

It starts 7S4M, then five low serial numbers. 7 for 97 and the S for Stumpjumper :?:

There is also a J on its own and 6061 which I'd guess is the aluminium.

Any further help here?

Back