Converting a 1" 1/8 PACE crown to 1"

betterdays

Dirt Disciple
WARNING this post is only for cheapskates like me who already have the parts and like to tweak. Obviously, original PACE parts are the way to go if you're anal about your builds. See with user "justbackdated" for your metal needs.

Ingredients needed

• PACE 1" 1/8 crown
  • 1" RST steerer (any 1" steerer may work, but RST is guaranteed)
  • 28.6 to 27.2 reducer shim from ebay

The bottom bulge on the RST steerer tube (absent on PACE steerer tubes) measures in at exactly 27.2. I was surprised since the crown race from my 1" headset has "26.4" written on it.
The shim is too long. Hacksaw it down so it lines up with the top of the crown.
Heat the crown race, hammer down, hiding the unused space left by the PACE crown race collar.

Et voilà : it's dirty, but it's all hidden. Now go RIDE !

Not all 1" crown races are the same size.

ISO = 26.4mm
JIS = 27.0mm

Looks like the RST forks are designed to take JIS.

Im confused. What pace fork are we talking about here? The RC30-35's & early RC36's have removable crowns with shimmable steerers.

The later models have bonded in steerers.

What needs heating?

My crown race needs heating. It's so tight, it's the only way I can fit it. It has "VP" on it. I wasn't aware of the 2 standards, but then again I didn't have much choice when it comes to 1" headsets... The offer is so scarce, you just take what you find at your LBS and deal with it ;-)

3 months and 2000km later, I can say without a doubt that it works perfectly. Nothing broke or budged, I'm still alive and very proud to have visited one third of England with a british fork ;-)

Back