1988 Muddy Fox Aluminium - build thread

Cool bike and collection...

A polished alu frame with repro decals and white forks/stem would look good IMO

so minor update.

Went to Leonard Brooks yesterday armed with frame and forks from the Aluminum (just noticed its the American pronunciation and not the English one, only one "i") and also the forks from my Explorer.

I now have plenty of paint for the pearl white, pearl yellow, gunmetal grey for explorer group set and the metallic grey for the Aluminum frame.

Frame and forks are now separated and have removed the BB and headset cups.

Today will mainly be cleaning and prepping the frame, forks, cranks, stem for painting.

Been speaking with Gil with regards to getting a decal set made up. So its all systems go at the moment.

That's a nice collection going on there. The '88 Explorer is one I will add to my collection one day (I need to be choosy now and buy only bikes I can ride), but this Alu is like my Prestige an uber rare unicorn bike.
It certainly looks well built though and the bonus of being 7000 series is that it is not heat treated like 6000 series so won't lose it's properties over time and I think lees likely to turn to cheese.

Carl.

LOTS of prepping today, rubbed down frame, forks, cranks and stem.

Here is the frame stripped and rubbed down.
null_zps1705d7ad.jpg

and with the first coat of primer.
null_zps6a8ce015.jpg

Tomorrow will rub down with wet and dry then apply second coat of primer and if I have time the topcoat.

Chainrings, and derailleurs are soaking in degreaser ready for cleaning and polishing.

My best friend had one of those - he'd ordered an Explorer but it got run over by a forklift truck and they sent him an Aluminium instead. I'm not sure what happened to my friend's - it had a stuck stem and I'd replaced some of the Suntour stuff with Deore XT - brakes I think.

Nice to see the Cycle Logical sticker on the seat tube. They were a mecca for early mountain biking in the UK - I went to the shop in 1986 and came away with an armful of free Muddy Fox stickers. They were very near the BT Tower and the Channel 4 headquarters.

I have one for sale. Offer over £100, please.
Very original, hardly used, lovely condition.
Comes with road tires.
:xmas-wink:

Some additional preliminaries:
Dia Compe break levers,
cantilever break in front
BMX style (crossing) break in rear
Quick release front wheel and saddle
Venlo Proposil leather saddle
Suntour accushift indexed thumb levers
Sugino ML110 biopace cranks
Suntour X00 4050 rear deraillieur
Suntour front deraillieur
Sansin Muddy Fox alloy hubs
6 speed cassette
7000MTB Alu tubing frame 48cm (19")
made in Japan
assembled in Taiwan,
in much better condition than on the photos presented here.

Perfect Christmas present!

Pictures can be seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/bernd.becker.7 ... 495&type=1

A bit of an update.

Got the decals through from Del, after the wonderful Royal Mail lost the first lot. thanks Del you are truely a gent. :cool:

Here are the finished parts awaiting the decal application.
null_zpsd7b13d26.jpg

Cranks with fresh decals and dust cap.
null_zps57800932.jpg

Frame and forks with new decals
null_zps164ab977.jpg

Just need to add the lacquer to complete this part.

Next up is rebuild the restored rear derailleur with new jockey wheels. Restore the seat and then build it all up.

:p

That Sir, is rather elegant :cool:. At first glance I wasn't sure about the white forks, but hopefully the cranks will pull it together as a cohesive scheme. Signed up for this one.

Regards

So a few more bits done.

Seat re-dyed:
9FD63009-C9F4-4065-84DD-582A59F767F8_zpsuzui8rms.jpg

Front derailleur, rear derailleur and brakes restored and serviced:
93939420-0C3C-40C8-A919-2776E077A84F_zpswh8ed7ya.jpg

793F6179-1E1D-4E7E-A093-56237831065C_zps2ijxv3iw.jpg

Bars and stem on:
D2477492-64DD-4199-B332-CEAF4FD1EC3D_zpszcuyrtxg.jpg

Wheels, tyres, brake levers, thumbshifters, grips, seat post and seat on:
AB08D798-7D9C-4F1A-BAA1-D6C000C19AEC_zpsrnfwutw1.jpg

Now just need to polish the front brakes and put the new cables on and away we go.

:D

Latest posts

Back