Fork Steerer - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th......100th opinions please

Re: Fork Steerer - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th......100th opinions pl

I'm trying to giggle Woz if it wasn't so damn annoying! A bike - a simple creation that shouldn't require so much thinking about. I'd hate to think what those guys into classic cars must go through when they find things not as they should be!

There's some date codes to go by - basically 2001 issue for 3 or 4 months - I haven't checked (yet). I think that recall is an ar$e covering exercise - there's not much else on the www about problems, it's the bostik moment that's needs to be erased from my mind!

Rampage - at least the join on your forks looks professional. Mine's a dogs dinner of an affair - classic case of what you can't see won't hurt you!

FINNEY1973":2xjbnvua said:
Rampage - at least the join on your forks looks professional. Mine's a dogs dinner of an affair - classic case of what you can't see won't hurt you!

True.
I'd probably not even have noticed it if I hadn't seen this thread last week!

Replying here from the build thread. Had a go at getting the forks out of my green TCR as promised to find the headset top nut impossible to remove!!! so at least I haven't discovered any worrying issues with my own fork but I do now have the issue of removing this headset. It was always on the cards to change it when I re-build the bike after moving and I already have a brand new NOS stronglight HS sitting in a box. oh well. Anyway, I did shine a torch down the steerer tube and noticed that the internal diameter is narrower for the last couple of inches, can't tell if it's got the same kind of join in it as yours though at this stage. I'll keep you posted.

BTW I'm after a 1 1/8th" steerer TCR fork for a different bike, if you see any around for cheap let me know.

At first glance this looks like a 'cut & shut' job as they say in the motor trade...
However given all of the other info there may be a less worrying explanation.
May I suggest that you send the photos to Giant and ask them what they think - they should know if they made them like that.
Dave

Cheers Riddim, could well be that the narrowing of the steerer is down to the same construction - time will tell on that one if the HS is stuck fast!

Certainly looks like a garden shed bodge but photo's already submitted & commented on by Giant UK - they stated this was the production method at that time so no need to worry. Hasn't exactly filled me with confidence so going to change the forks at some point.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old glue is fun stuff with a mind of its own.
I used to work in the Alps as a ski mechanic. Skis were a composite construction made of many different materials sandwiched together. A lot of them in the early 90's had aluminium tops bonded to whatever layer of stuff was below. It was always the aluminium that delaminated from the other layers, as for some reason it wouldn't hold onto the epoxy glue.

Skis have a short life span and are subject to a lot of flex, much more than the steerer on a set of forks, but it was the short life of skis that stopped them from completely blowing apart. I don't know how old your forks are but they are subject to a lot of vibration over a far longer period, so maybe it might be wise to check the length and state of the bond and if you are at all unsure, get a new pair of forks.

Headbutting the road or kerb is not pleasant, speaking from experience.

I make composite items in Australia and I can assure you they have no fatigue life like metals , but the bonding between the dissimilar materials of carbon/epoxy fork blades ,aluminuim crown and steel steerer in a fork should be watched (in particular the carbon to alloy joint as they make electricity if they touch) , It could also be that the steel steerer goes all the way down to the brake bolt and there is some mechanical assistance there too.

ps Monocoque forks (ALL carbon) are better for many reasons IMO not just weight

FINNEY1973":zayhtfmo said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-inch-Carbon-threaded-forks-fully-adjustable-handlebar-stem-577g-weight-/200989418258?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2ecbe72312

Finally found images of said forks....someone selling some on the bay. Absolutely no doubt that these are how they came from the factory.

Yes...but is that any more reassuring?!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hernehill69":3chd3v6s said:
FINNEY1973":3chd3v6s said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-inch-Carbon-threaded-forks-fully-adjustable-handlebar-stem-577g-weight-/200989418258?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2ecbe72312

Finally found images of said forks....someone selling some on the bay. Absolutely no doubt that these are how they came from the factory.

Yes...but is that any more reassuring?!

For me personally, no not really. Don't feel like I can give it plenty when riding, constantly staring at the road for pot-holes. Don't enjoy riding the bike if I'm honest. And in absolute truth I don't really get on with the riding position - It's a bit too upright at the front end for me. I've done < 100 miles on it. Shame really as I'd always wanted one, always read with interest peoples opinions etc. but it's not for me.

Back