Marzocchi Bomber Z4

fjpshaw

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought these forks YEARS ago. Not the most advanced bit of kit ever made but they served me faithfully for all the time I've had them in use. However, a couple of years back I upgraded to a more modern fork, and since then, they have sat in the shed doing nothing.

Anyone know anything more about them? I know they are Z3's (edit: actually Z4's), but really not sure about era. Potentially from around 96/97? Also never seen a colour matching brace - other Bombers always seem to have a silver one.

Thinking I'd quite like to strip them down and give them a bit of a refurb. Is it even worth the bother?

Attachments

• DSC05148.JPG
    DSC05148.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 3,960
  • DSC05139.JPG
    DSC05139.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 3,959
Re: Marzocchi Bomber Z3

I had (and still have in the loft) some 1999 Z4's, which look very similar to yours, with bolt-in steerer and stanchions, and a colour-matched brace also.

Served me well on a '92 cinder cone (which is now reunited back with the original P2 forks, as my daily commuter).

I got the manual for mine, I think from the Marzocchi website, as they still seemed to have lots of info for past products, so maybe worth a look.

I've got an identical fork. Stickers on it mark it as a z.4. I'm going to get new seals in mine and mount it to my 95 Zaskar.

Yeah, think I was a bit mistaken over mine. I've had a look through the old Marzocchi manuals and now I'm sure these are Z4s. I've been living a lie all these years! Now with new seals and fresh oil, they're going like a dream. Old Bombers are easily the best looking forks out there IMO, and can give modern forks at x10 the price a run for their money.

Funny ... I had some (new, original) tubes and wondered for which fork they are ... and what dto do with it ... have a look at the picture enclosed.

Attachments

• Bomber.jpg
    Bomber.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 3,576
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
dyna-ti":1qw870ln said:
I think theres a Z4 long travel kit on ebay at the moment :?

Runs off...........

............Here we go :D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-Z4- ... 5d46ffa85b

Seeing as I have no self control, I bought that kit but now have no idea how to fit :facepalm: . Anyone got any ideas? I'm guessing the two wee springs in the kit sit inside the inners - but top or bottom?

Edited to stop me talking utter mince. Not that it helped much!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
From memory they might go inside.............er um top.
But hey, just cos i pointed them out doesnt make me wholly responsible for fitting them, knowing how to fit them or being in anyway connected emotionally to them :p

Back