Dura Ace 1st Gen (?) levers

cringle

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Dura Ace non-aero levers w/cable stops. Some marks but excellent condition.

DSC_0095 by Teddy Bingle, on Flickr

£26 posted

The time has come to let go of my treasured Witcomb frame. I always thought it was too small, however upon stripping it and measuring I realised I probably could have gone for a longer seatpost and been fine. Alas, too late, I've purchased and already built a very tasty alternative and need to pay for it. Scroll past for other items :)

Questions welcome. Prices are what I paid or less. Still, sensible offers considered (apart from on frame, for now). Dibs ok if genuinely interested. Collection in Bristol will warrant discount :)

Details are as follows:

1964 Witcomb 531 frame and fork in navy blue enamel with white contrast panels and white/gold lug lining with Nervex Professional lugs

Top tube: 57cm ctc
Seat tube: 54.5/55cm ctc
Head tube: 12ish cm
Chainstays: 40cm approx
68mm bottom bracket shell (British thread)
28.6 seat tube diameter
100 front/116mm rear OLD
Probably took 27s but I used 700c wheels with a Weinmann caliper with no problems.

Pump pegs, down tube shifter boss, cable guides, mudguard eyelets.

This had a full respray by Mario Vaz in SE London about 3 years ago. Was built up by Union Cycle Works of Deptford as an old school tourer/randonneur but never ridden, then purchased by me and run as a fixed gear with mudguards and front brake. Therefore all the usual fitting marks are present, some paint chips/minor scratches here and there. The decals are on the whole very tidy and look great, other than the seat tube decal which has faded somewhat. I will include the vintage Tange threaded headset, which does need adjusting. It was working smoothly before I took the stem out however it requires 3 adjustments at once and I didn't have the patience to set up again.

I will also include the ITM semi-aero seatpost, NOS when purchased. Cost me approx £30 IIRC. It is a 26.4mm seat tube therefore quite hard to find anything nice and it took some time to acquire this. Not the shortest seatpost, but I'm 5'11'' and could have used an extra cm or so above the minimum. There are alternative seatposts out there, just mainly cheap and ugly :) or Campag/Dura Ace short ones.

Frame only:

DSC_0088 by Teddy Bingle, on Flickr

More photos: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjMyjsd7

Price: £150 SOLD

Pretty firm on price for now. However if there is no interest I'll consider offers in the near future. Based in Bristol and would prefer pickup however I am willing to post if necessary, at extra cost obviously. I do have some suitable parts lying around also if there were any other bits needed. Anyway, enough rambling. Time to let go of the beauty!

And some other lovely stuff:

NOS Dura Ace centrepulls with Shimano QR front and rear cable hangers, straddle hangers, cable guides (not pictured,) original & replacement brake blocks. Max 61mm drop/reach, I think.

IMG_1845 by Teddy Bingle, on Flickr

£60 posted (QR hangers are £10 a pop, ditto a set of straddle hangers, cable guides, not to mention cost of brake blocks. And Dia Compe 750 (vague modern equivalent) are £20 each. Plus these are Dura Ace and look much cooler. Were a few millimetres too short a drop for my girlfriend's bike therefore cannot use them. SOLD

Galli brake calipers. Standard drop/reach, barely used, few marks/rust spots on bolts. Pads are original and need replacing, slightly different barrel adjusters but hardly noticeable.

DSC_0112 by Teddy Bingle, on Flickr

£35 posted SOLD

Campagnolo Veloce 10 spd rear mech. Not sure if short/medium cage. Jockeys have life left and move freely, springs are strong and springy! Bought on a whim and didn't realise it was 10 speed. Some scratches/marks but still lovely and shiny.

DSC_0071 by Teddy Bingle, on Flickr

£15 posted SOLD

Loads more pictures of everything here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjMyjsd7

More bits to come in the next few weeks. Building girlfriend's birthday bike so all funds much appreciated! Payment via Paypal gift preferable, other methods considered.

Re: Witcomb 531/Dura Ace centrepull/levers/Galli calipers/Ca

Beautiful build! Just like what I'm planning for my next
How much did the vaz respray cost?
If you end up moving the price down at all let me know but I'm sure it will sell

Thanks, it does look fantastic built up, sorry the price is out of your reach, feel it's very reasonable though as the respray with decals was around £120 alone. Obviously without lug lining/contrast bands it would cost less. Cheers.

Hi

Have you got a pic of the brake levers from the front?

Cheers

Shaun

The set up you have on the geared pic looks beautiful.

Thanks, that was never mine unfortunately!

Shaun: lots more pics in the link at the end of post, but I can send one too if you can't access it.

Hi

Looked at the pics....very nice :)

just having a think.

Thanks

Shaun

Dibs the DA centre pulls. YHPM.

I nearly bought the Witcomb from Union Cycle Works, it is lovely.

Centre pulls sold, thanks Jingle Jangle.

Hi - yes please sold, beautiful frame. Let me know what details you need & I'll sort payment. Mobile is 07974780535

Back