How do you disassemble a Vitus 992 integrated headset?

arglebargle

Retro Newbie
Hi Folks,
I just acquired a very nice Vitus 992 frameset. The movement of the fork is a little "rumbly" and I want to take it out and look at the bearings. Can anyone advise me? There are two bolts on the metal ring under the dustcap (see picture). Taking these out does not perceptibly loosen anything. I tried to rotate this ring a little using a bottom bracket spanner (wrapped in a sock!). It budged but now the fork has been tightened and is hard to move. Anyone have experience taking these out? I'd be grateful for some pointers.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 992_Headset_top_2.jpg
    992_Headset_top_2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,361
I remember overhauling a 992 headset some time ago and as far as I can remember after you remove the wide rubber ring that covers the inset allen bolts you loosen these and then the top should unscrew anti clockwise (use penetrating oil if stiff) exposing the conical needle/roller bearings within, tap the fork downwards gently to remove then lift out the bearings and the separate bearing races that are inside both upper and lower cups clean and lightly grease the inside of both cups before replacing the removable bearing races (this prevents the creak you may sometimes get from the headset when climbing hills) refit forks/clean regreased bearings or their replacements then screw the upper headset cup back on to adjust and re-tighten allen keys to secure
....good luck they're nice frames

Latest posts

Back