"Good for jumps in Miggy woods"

ok, the rst forks fitted are indeed dire, and nowhere near as stuff laterally as a mozo pro. i have some first generation bomber z1's to go in, i think i will go ahead an fit these soon, if only to try.

i remember the judy upgrade kit, it was called a 'firestarter' conversion. the uppers are hard anodised, probably with some sort of analube coating as they are very dark and very shiny. i think my chances of finding a kit are slim.

the miggy woods thing is a reference from a 'first look' article in a mbuk, i must have it somewhere in the attic. pretty sure that was for a santacruz, and pretty sure it was referring to the tazmon.

Thread resurrection time....

We had a great summer. We rode two or three times a week, I mostly used the Foes, we really clicked. On the rare occasion that I didn't want to take the ride quite so seriously tho I took the Tazmon. The bike works really well, the only holdback is the lack of braking power, as we all got used to the instant and constant power of disc brakes, the vee brakes seem awful.

Good memories. Still, considering the bike is more than fifteen years old, the performance is admirable.

The bike was stripped down a few weeks ago, no dramas there. I decided that I would clean and service a few parts each week, this way it wouldn't take up any time, and it has been quite enjoyable. I am determined not to replace anything i don't have to, trying to keep her as original as possible. Obviously consumables like cables will be replaced...

The frame was the first part to see some attention. I dont want to lose the bikes identity, so the paint stays, I have simply cleaned and polished the frame, the bearings were replaced along with any rusty bolts.

This weekend I serviced the forks, again no real problems. The stanchions are a little rusty underneath the frame bumpers, but this really doesn't matter. The elastomer springs are all present and correct, and the damping pistons both work perfectly, so simply a case of cleaning, greasing and reassembling. The headset crown race is a little pitted, but I don't think it warrants replacing.

Next up is cleaning the wheels, then I can reassemble into a rolling chassis, much easier to store the bike this way.

:)

That is a nice looking old FS Santa Cruz. I like the backstory on it too. After cleaning its looking spot on...keep it up bro!

That bike in MTB Pro is why I decided to buy one all those years ago - yellow in that size is the best looking of the Tazmons I think.
I took my other one to Mayhem last year and got shouted at as I trudged down to the start line:
Some bloke in a trade stand: "hey is that a Tazmon?"
His mate: "yeah, Paul Smith had one of them, he shagged my sister"

Made me smile before the 2 1/2 hours of muddy hell started.

Cheers guys. Kind words.

phill77":p445ksfa said:
That bike in MTB Pro is why I decided to buy one all those years ago - yellow in that size is the best looking of the Tazmons I think.
I took my other one to Mayhem last year and got shouted at as I trudged down to the start line:
Some bloke in a trade stand: "hey is that a Tazmon?"
His mate: "yeah, Paul Smith had one of them, he shagged my sister"

Made me smile before the 2 1/2 hours of muddy hell started.

Its a small world, I think this is why I got hold of it. The last 'keeper' is a freelance journo, so its entirely possible that your story intertwines with mine. ;)

Get some Maguras on her! You won't have to worry about the brakes then...

I really like these older Santa Cruzses, I used to see a chap all the time on Nottm Station with a yellow one same era as this. They just look right.

kanerdog1x1":4pjw82yl said:
I have no idea where Miggy woods are, but........

Let me elaborate on that, kind of side-show style but, here goes. I live 1 mile or so from miggy woods and, as i needed to get cycling today i thought it would be apt to stay close to home and showcase the place.

Considering i was on road slicks...I had to go easy as it was soft in the woods. Plenty of mossy roots to catch you out too. I took some of the well-beaten tracks where i know there are some bomb-holes and teen made earth ramps :)

It's not easy to capture on camera but there are what i would call 'short trial runs' that terminate after 100yrds or so but, potential fun on the way down. I suppose the creative type could rummage up a dozen or so jump spots, but nothing of knockout quality. fun stuff perhaps.

Below, that would be good, but a stream run 40yrds or so below that point :) push back up.

Below, what creates most of the fun, tree root bomb holes. Just watch for lone cyclists stood in the way!

There are more DH and jump spots at the other side of the park but not likely to be considered for pro comp use. Not a bad place to cut your teeth though. All together short and sweet. The woods has some short wooded trails to bez round too.

So, yes "good for jumps in miggy woods" just not on slick tyres though ;)

Just a foot note. Middle park was mied, farmed and essentially home to the 'upper class' back in georgeian times, having a private mini railway encompassing the park and private boating lake(now fishable) fed by a natural spring further up the park. Now council owned (for £1 per year). There once stood a grand mansion at the edge of the golf course that sadly no longer exists, pity as it would have been a great tourist interest and visitor centre. The empty, dilapidated mansion was sadly finished off by fire(believed to be arson) back in the 90's. Who would do that?

What it was...

Is now...

cheers.

Cool, thanks for that.

I have been cleaning a few pieces as and when I have time, and I managed to get the bike on its wheels this weekend.

The control levers were cleaned and serviced today, the rapid fire lever mechanisms still look brand new inside. A testament to the quality of shimano in the mid 90's.

I could have gone to town with restoration, especially on the brake levers, but I want to keep it as original as possible.

The cassette is a bit of a weird one, it looks like the 11tooth has been deleted and a 13tooth added between 14 and 12. It doesn't look like a HG item tho, more like a bmx part as the teeth are very tall. Before, during, and after cleaning. Its worn, but not worn out.

Please excuse the finger-tight bolts, I need to source some replacements.

And until the next instalment:-

Back