MM Generator - reluctant to fire up...

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
I have a nearly new 4 stroke generator (5 hours run time in its life) that is refusing to fire up in time for MM... anyone got any tips? I notice that the plug keeps oiling up pretty bad - does that mean it has too much oil in it?

Mr K

Sounds like the mixture is too rich. (Not enough air). Is there a spark at the plug? Unscrew it and rest the thread against the metal body (don't touch the plug or lead) and pull the starter. Can you see a spark?

Spark is good once I have cleaned all the oil off - then it just goes and gets drownned in oil again... :-(

Mr K

some carbs fill up with water if they have been unused for a while,check if it can be drained.

Could well be the carbs if it's been sat with fuel it in then the bowls may be gummed up.

Get some carb cleaner from a motor spares place and squirt it direct into the carbs then try again..

Paddy

paddy01":1toaiyzt said:
Could well be the carbs if it's been sat with fuel it in then the bowls may be gummed up.

Get some carb cleaner from a motor spares place and squirt it direct into the carbs then try again..

Paddy
Same thing happened with mine, and found if I don't run the generator dry, the float needle will stick open flooding the engine.

Try rapping the side of the bowl to dislodge the needle.

Terry

Back