Reading this is so harrowing :-(

It was mentioned on the radio earlier, very sad indeed.

I do 20 to 30 miles a week in and around town and most drivers are OK, but it really riles me when drivers put me at risk by being impatient, close passing, pulling out in front of me etc. only for me to catch up to them at the next set of lights or junction meaning they've put me at risk and gained absolutely nothing in terms of their journey time.

Awful reading, the lorry driver deserves to be jailed for life for that as there doesn't sound like there is any excuse. I used to read about a death a month in the ES when I used to commute into town.

Carl.

It sounds like both drivers went into the cycle lane! I see this all the time,
its as if they don't care as its just a 'cycle lane' but these drivers have a different
attitude when they see a bus lane and only the brave will enter that lane.

The guy who died was hit from behind by a lorry pulling away from traffic lights. If the cyclist had filtered in to that position the chances are that the lorry driver had no clue he was there.

The coach and cyclist appear to have both been turning left. This is why you should never undertake a moving vehicle and even when stationary never start to undertake a vehicle without being 100% sure you are able to complete the manoeuvre before the vehicle moves.

yagamuffin":pq6rxkfq said:
The coach and cyclist appear to have both been turning left. This is why you should never undertake a moving vehicle and even when stationary never start to undertake a vehicle without being 100% sure you are able to complete the manoeuvre before the vehicle moves.
Yeh you should never ever go down the side of any big vehicles, There is a video on youtube which shows why not too! but can I heck as find it, the guy nearly ends his life.

I bet it wasn't undertaking that caused it. The truck will've overtaken and turned left.

Lorries are scary to ride bikes around. Cabs are way too high up.

I watched an article on this type of accident on ITV4's Cycle show.

It explained the visibility issues that HGV drivers have when stopped perfectly legitimitly at traffic lights where there is a box at the front for cyclists to use.

There is a proper blind spot and my guess would be that the cyclist was slow in setting off when the lights changed and the HGV driver didn't even know he was there...

Awful accident, but please protect yourselves when using these "cyclist only" boxes. I personally, wouldn't use one if I can't be positioned on the left, pretty much in the gutter.

I actually feel sorry for the lorry driver as well...

Back