'98 Marin Team DH F.R.S - Finished!

danwithaplan

Devout Dirtbag
Picked this up at the weekend to join my Rockhopper as part of my newly formed '98 collection. Always wanted a B-17 so to go one better is nice. I'm going to go for a modern and usable spec, more trail than DH with some retro touches.

2enuk1u.jpg

So far I've got a D521 ceramic/Deore rear wheel and I've purchased a Bomber 55 ATA and some Answer bars. I need to sell some stuff before I can really crack on though.

Thinking 10 speed Zee, Race Face cranks and some more red ano.

Re: '98 Marin Team DH F.R.S

I have fond memories of this frame! First time i went downhill with my supermarket hardtail the guy in front of me was riding one of these. Cleared my way never to be seen again yet i still hold some pride in it, i cleared the run with plastic cantilevers and a knackered BB. It was a day to remember!

This will be an interesting project, pulling up a chair if you don't mind! :)

Good job. One of my friends got one of these as an replacement for a cracked Mount Vision.

They rode pretty well if I remember correctly.

Cheers guys. I used to love borrowing a friend's Mount Vision which complete with Z1s and fluoro HS33s. It's a shame that Marin just don't seem to make anything interesting any more, I never see them about.

6ignck.jpg

Headset and cranks on the way and I need to sell a few bits then before I go completely broke.

She's no B-17, different shock and different paint! Important details. :)

Looking a bit more like a bike now, although there stillseems to be such a lot of money to spend.

PB120419_zpse2a43b24.jpg

Cheap, but good brakes are the next important task, tempted to go with a Zee on the front for 4 pot cool, but a set of Deores for the same money will probably have more than enough power. That and a decent ISIS bottom bracket if such a thing exists?

5a7ce996-f5f9-4ad2-80b7-934757adbc6d_zpsca7313c2.jpg

93f8e539-0dcc-4e51-b7b2-20b9ce7d994e_zps94bb9746.jpg

It's finally finished. Had a quick spin today and as my first proper full-susser it was quite different from my 24lb Rockhopper. Slow and energy sapping uphill, but a lotof fun and pretty quick on the way down. I need a stiffer spring on the rear though, but no idea what length or weight I need? Might swap the rear tyre for something less draggy too. Hopefully I'll give it some proper abuse soon.

Back