Great big Singlespeed thread!

OK folks, I've got a question...

I have just set my bike up SS. I've got a new chainring, a new cog and spacers on the back, a new chain, and a spring mounted tensioner (one that pushes clockwise, not anti-clockwise).

When I push down hard on the pedals (starting from stationary, climbing, etc) I get a horrible jolting sensation, accompanied by a clunk, and a weird squeak. This happens with every pedal revolution.

Why?

All bolts are tight and the chainline is almost perfectly straight. The BB is old. The freehub is a couple of years old and has a tiny amount of side-to-side play. But I didn't have this problem last week when I had gears and everything on the same BB and hub. The chain is possibly a touch too long, which because of the tensioner means the chain is only wrapping around the rear cog from the 8 o clock to 12 o clock position.

My thoughts are either the chain is skipping because I don't have enough of it wrapping round the chain, or I'm getting the jolting because the pawls in the freehub are skipping. I can't see how the BB or pedals could be causing the jolting.

All thoughts are welcome because it is doing my head in!

Cheers.

Not enough of the chain wrapping round the rear cog due to a too-long chain and an over zealous chain tensioner. I only had 5 or 6 teeth in the chain at any one time, so it kept slipping whenever I pedalled hard. Three links out and problem solved, thanks to the sensible heads on this site. I was ready to start dismantling the hub...

9x6a.jpg

I love those Norco's we rarely get to see anythign but their big 'falling down mountain' bikes over here.

What fork is that?

I agree with the above, that is a lovely Norco.
How does it ride with that fork? besides weight etc is it similar to standard?

Jamie

Latest posts

Back