1987 Raleigh 653 race

I'm no expert but I do remember the frame you've got as I nearly bought one myself in the late eighties. I ended up buying the 531 luxe, ie the one down from yours, which was blue, white and red, but my local bike shop had both in stock and the 653 was exactly the same colour as yours. I think the catalogue doesn't provide a good representation.

I'd always heard that a 653 frame was 753 main triangle and 531 stays and forks.

a 531 main traingle explains why a 57cm 653 bike is 1kg heavier than a 58cm 753 bike, built with exactly the components (bar the wheels, 36 spoke for 653 instead of 28 spoke for 753).

richie

a 653 frame is not 1kg heavier than a 753 frame. the tubeset weight difference is around 100g

I bought a 653-badged bike from Chas Roberts when he had a shop in Bromley. I was told the "standard" tube set was 653 main triangle, 753 stays and 531 fork. Mine has rifling up the steerer tube, which suggests Columbus SLX. But, then again, Roberts has always does his own thing (as masters often do) and mixed tubesets, so who knows? What I know is that my Roberts frame is lighter than an 853 frame built 10 years later, and that with "micro lugs" to save weight. Anyhow, back to this thread; that price, for that bike, and I am green.

SNAP! (sort of)

I got this bike off a friend to save it from the tip.

Whilst trying to work out the year and model I stumbled across your 653 race. This one has had a much harder life than yours! The groupset is Shimano 600 rather than durace. It has Mavic wheels with 600 hubs. The original back wheel is currently being abused on my friends turbo trainer but hes willing to swap it.

I've never restored anything before. Unfortunatley it has quite a few scratches and spots of rust so will probably have to be resprayed. The groupset is in pretty good condition. Assuming I don't cock it up and Im not too embarassed I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

Attachments

• IMAG0398.jpg
    IMAG0398.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,267
I have owned one of these frame, s/n WN7000571 and it rode very nicely indeed. The frame was as described in the original post with the cable guides under the top tube. From my records the 221/2” 653 frame weighed 1650g and the forks 677g. I think that the colour have come out more blue that green.
I also owned a 1989 221/2”RECORD ACE MODERNE, s/n WM8000475 again in 653, this weighed the same and I believe was identical.

Found original photo of 653 race and how she has become!

Attachments

• Black Raleigh 3.jpg
    Black Raleigh 3.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,262
  • 653 race.jpg
    653 race.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,262
Re:

Mines still going strong and in great condition. Rode her this morning and although the 42/52 is a killer on hills her gear change is seamless!!! :)

Attachments

• Raleigh653.jpg
    Raleigh653.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 1,067
Baz-IRL":s4o2mee8 said:
DSC_0003-1.jpg

Found this a couple of weeks ago on a badly listed auction on eBay,I was the only bidder and duly won. :D
From what I've read countless times here and looking at the '87 frame set catalogue scans I'm pretty sure I've got a type 8801 frame. Campagnolo drop outs Cinelli marked BB shell and seat post lug.
Dura Ace 7400 group set,Shimano 600 headset,Cinelli stem\bars,Campagnolo Record hubs laced to Mavic CX18 rims.
The bike is near mint condition,seller stated the bike was never used and when I got my hands on it I found this to be the truth. All it needs are two new tubs and replacing of those frayed brake cables.

If any of the experts can shed some light on the following queries I have about the frame itself,
In the catalogue scans the 653 frame had on top cable guides whereas mine are under slung and also my one has a pump peg which I can't really see on the scan.
Now from reading threads on similar frames am I correct in thinking the 653 frame was made of a mixture of tubing?
Could it be the case that this frames selection of tubing came with a peg and under slung guides?
Or is it simply a case of don't go by the pictures in the scans? ie it's states frame colour as "Oyster with metallic red and green decor" but clearly shows a red white and blue frame.

Beautiful bike. I'm a fan of the old 80's Raleigh's. What size is it? I see your from Dublin, were you at old velo spin?

Re:

I had one of those. The frame cracked on the the left hand chainstay and I had it repaired and re-sprayed yellow and Blue. The frame cracked again in the same place so Raleigh gave me a brand new 653 which I still ride to this day. I love the original Red/Green/White color scheme. My replacement frame is a Pink/ Silver White. Incidentally this new frame also cracked in exactly the same place (chain stay near the bridge) but has been fine since it was repaired around 96.
raleigh.jpg

Back