Kona HOT 1993 Build - Finished

Re: Kona HOT 1994 Build in progress ...

al-onestare":3hpeid6h said:
Are those 96/97 P2's? Did they have the same dimensions as those from 94?

Not 100% sure but i reckon the answer would be "yes". The '94 catalogue shows many bikes with sus forks so presumably the frame geometry would've been suspension corrected by then? The change certainly happened some time around '93 or so... So it seems likely that the '94 Hot would use a 410mm a-c fork, same as 96/97.

Don't see Hots everyday...this one looking nice :cool:

RadNomad":17cjvj8t said:
al-onestare":17cjvj8t said:
Are those 96/97 P2's? Did they have the same dimensions as those from 94?

Not 100% sure but i reckon the answer would be "yes". The '94 catalogue shows many bikes with sus forks so presumably the frame geometry would've been suspension corrected by then? The change certainly happened some time around '93 or so... So it seems likely that the '94 Hot would use a 410mm a-c fork, same as 96/97.

Don't see Hots everyday...this one looking nice :cool:

Yep, that's the bit I wasn't sure about because of the change in '94 :)

My frame seems identical to this one up on Ebay which says its a 93 ?
So now not sure now if mine is a 93 or 94 ( Not that I really care but would be nice to know :? )
mine has the same decals up front and has the same hook at the seat/chain stays

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Kona-Ho ... 272wt_1157

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You might get an idea from the TET # on the frame you have.i noticed the one in the Ebay auction was 593(?) . I've seen another 93 that was # 575. Nonetheless, you have a nice bike there. Enjoy

Woodyuk":3rbuieke said:
My frame seems identical to this one up on Ebay which says its a 93 ?
So now not sure now if mine is a 93 or 94 ( Not that I really care but would be nice to know :? )
mine has the same decals up front and has the same hook at the seat/chain stays

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Kona-Ho ... 272wt_1157
Your frame is a 93, as denoted by the head tube sticker (which I assume is original) and by the dropouts. Stevemar remarked on them as being possibly slightly different to his own, but even so they broadly follow the pattern of the standard dropouts used up to 93. The dropouts used from 94 don't have the triangle.

As such the frame was made for a 39cm a-c P2 fork, so a later P2 is 2cm too long. I would suggest you either look for a 93 P2 or use a shorter stem to compensate, in order to get back to the desired steering feel.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi

Thanks for Info... :D
OK good so now I know what year it is ...
I know a friend that has a set of P2 just not sure of year ...
Might try shorter stem first and see how the ride is

Now thinking i might add a Minty set of rock shox judy xc which I have lying around
They are from 1996 so 3 years out but might look good ?

Photos of finished bike coming this weekend ....
Was out riding it the last weeks and loving it ....

Re:

Here is the finished bike out in the fresh air ...
I was wondering if anyone knows if Kona Used all the same Project 2 forks for all their bikes or were there different quality forks for the lower and upper range of their bikes in 1993 ?

Attachments

• rsz_bike1.jpg
    rsz_bike1.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 661
Back