Mapiei C40 build

stringfellow1946

Senior Retro Guru
Hi guys I need some help from you Mapei experts out there.
I’ve just got hold of a Colnago Mapei C40 the original one with the standard rear brake bridge (Not the B-Stay model) I guess early 90’s frame. What I need to know is what Shimano Dura-Ace groupset to use 7403 C/Set, with 7403 Dual pivot brakes or the 7400/2 C/Set.
I also need to know what make & model rims they used & saddles.
Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

salsaboy":2xvpdloi said:
Pictures of What exactly??
as I only have the frame & forks at the moment.
I have now decided to run with the Dura-Ace 7700 groupset for this project, but as yet only have a Chainset so still trying to pick up the rest of the groupset.

Congratulation - it is hard to find one!
(sorry -what kind of livery; you have the rider pic on the top tube and wihich fork has your bike - the steelmade Precisa? or carbon)
Mapei Team rode the C40 1st Gen in the early 90s normally with a Shimano DA 74 with following items (see pic of A.Olano)
ST-7400 - STIs
BR-7403 - brake calipers
CS-7410 - crankset
RD-7402 - rear derailleuer
FD-7410 - front derailleur
HS-7410 - headset
SP-7410 - seat post
selle italia flite or turbo - Olano is riding a Turbo matic2
wheels cosists on
F.I.R. Pulsar tubulars rims
mint blue handle bar tape
Vittoria Corsa CX ProTeam

DA 74er parts in Europe are very rare and expensive - esp. good looking STIs mostly you can get them in US
DA 7700 has been ridden by Mapei Team with the 2nd Gen the B-Stay type (Tafi, Ballerini, Musseuw..)

Attachments

• A_Olano_WM.jpg
    A_Olano_WM.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,030
gridno27":2bbh7xvd said:
Congratulation - it is hard to find one!
(sorry -what kind of livery; you have the rider pic on the top tube and wihich fork has your bike - the steelmade Precisa? or carbon)
Mapei Team rode the C40 1st Gen in the early 90s normally with a Shimano DA 74 with following items
ST-7400 - STIs
BR-7403 - brake calipers
CS-7410 - crankset
RD-7402 - rear derailleuer
FD-7410 - front derailleur
HS-7410 - headset
SP-7410 - seat post
selle italia flite or turbo
wheels cosists on
F.I.R. Pulsar tubulars rims
Vittoria Corsa CX ProTeam

DA 74er parts in Europe are very rare and expensive - esp. good looking STIs mostly you can get them in US
DA 7700 has been ridden with the 2nd Gen the B-Stay type

Thank you gridno27
I have the original C40, NOT B-Stay. It has the Carbon Star Fork.
I've decided to go with a Dura-Ace 7700 Group set. Mainly because i have 4 other bike with Dura-Ace 7400/02 Some with 7 speed Down tube Gear levers & some with STI levers. I didn't know what type of rims or saddles they used so that was very useful information. I sure they used ITM Bars & Stem?

These are the links to the other 4 bikes with Dura Ace 7400 fitted

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=203580
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=257497&p=1927891#p1927891
viewtopic.php?t=235543
https://www.facebook.com/Chriswestonpho ... 278&type=3

Thanks for all the information
Chris

where you from?
I had a complete FIR Pulsar-DA front wheel and a used sole 32 hole rim - I got it from an Italian dealer (he told me it was directly from Tony Rominger, if he had a damage and he thrown it into the gravel during Giro Trentino)

gridno27":1n6pcp8y said:
where you from?
I had a complete FIR Pulsar-DA front wheel and a used sole 32 hole rim - I got it from an Italian dealer (he told me it was directly from Tony Rominger, if he had a damage and he thrown it into the gravel during Giro Trentino)

I'm from the UK i live on the Isle of Wight

within this time approx. 1995 the stem chosen by PROs was mostly a ITM eclypse or ITM 400 in black - I take the eclypse also for my Fondriest Panaria Lampre C40
here is a pic of A. Tafi using an eclypse an another pic of 1995 WC A. Olano rode a black ITM with a super Italia pro or a super Europa - however it is very difficult to find one. I think the best chances are in the US

Good luck to find the vintage parts you want!

Greeting from Germany
Thomas

Attachments

• WC 95_Olano mapei.jpg
    WC 95_Olano mapei.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1,005
  • Andrea_Tafi.jpg
    Andrea_Tafi.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,005
Hi - my Research come to the result, that Mapei rodes during early 90s FIR Pulsar Squadre Corse rims.
Here my front wheel which I have in stock for the moment I will find a Mapei-C40 1st Gen - I had also a 2nd rim but the
FIR lettering was not the same - the Letter of FIR decal was totally White not White-rimmed

Attachments

• FIR_Front_DA HB-7400.jpg
    FIR_Front_DA HB-7400.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 991
  • DA HB-7400 front.jpg
    DA HB-7400 front.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 991
Back