V-Brake recommendations

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Unlike cantis, there seems to be quite a limited number of brands of V-brakes available - or is it just because I've spent a lot more time looking at cantis?

Anyway, for a '98ish frame I'm building up I was looking at V-brakes but I'm struggling to find any I like. Assuming I'm not tempted by the Shimano and Avid offerings, are there any other brands you would recommend, that I might be able to find for a reasonable price?

I guess the other alternative would be Maguras, which might be a solution if I can find a red or black set at a reasonable price.

Any input welcomed!

Cane Creek? not sure how period correct they are, if that's a concern for you, but I always liked them...

came in a few versions, Direct Curve, 2, 3 etc...

5832561236_271ec90aaa_z.jpg

Those Cane Creeks look like a possible option. What levers do you use with them?

Period correcticity isn't an issue for this bike, anything up to current is fine, as the forks are pretty recent. It won't have a 4-bolt crank though, as I have a very strong dislike of them.

Sorry for the off topicness ... :oops:

@ jimo746 - a couple of questions if you dont mind ... ? :D

What colour is that frame and does it look the same in real life as on the photo ?

What are the two pipes running down the non drive side seat stay ?

Cheers,

WD :D

Off topic : probably the cabling for an Alfine hub or something similar.

On Topic : I always had a soft spot for Tektro Vees. They always did the job just fine.

Vee brakes ,i must say i have a set of Cain creek on an old Pro -flex and they fit really nicely with the cable routing

photo0300z.jpg

photo0298f.jpg

good luck looking .

any v-brakes work with the Cane Creek Will.

P.S. have you got the fork yet and did you get the second set ?

Yeah, I have the two forks. They seem great, but I'll have to get you to look them over.

I should start a build thread I guess.

Any V-levers will work with the Cane Creek brakes, although Cane Creek do some nice levers as well by the way.

And the bike in the pic sin't mine, just an image from Google images.

Back