1993 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

Wow, she's gonna be a heartbreaker when she's finished :shock: :cool:

I'd go for the Marzocchis too. Aesthetically I've always liked Mantious, but isn't the entry-level Comp model WAY below the quality of the Thunderbolt?
Maybe the original Amps with chromed legs would look better?

I dunno Frank... looks like it might be too big for you... that's ok... I know someone that it would fit just right... ;)

Lookin good so far!!

I'd still go rigid on the fork... that original fork is just soooo cool!

if anything, it's too small for you Eric! ;) but of course i'll give you first refusal if in deed i ever decide to pass on.

so thought i'd finally post up some pics of the wheelset. unfortunately i have to resolve an issue with the rear rim having a huge flat spot on it. it's bad enough that it needs to be replaced. :( hopefully i can source a matching Mavic m230 SBP rim shortly. i had my eyes on a set of grey/blue Mavic 220 rims, but that didn't pan out. rim colour would have been awesome for the build, but they were used and it would have cost me more to rebuild two wheels requiring new spokes, as opposed to just swapping the rim out on one.

i'm a little nervous in general about the Nuke Proof hubs given the cracked flange pics/stories i've come across. knock on wood that when i get the rear rim swapped out there's no issues. :?

will probably use a wheel/seat set of Ringle 3-hole QRs, as seen on the front wheel as it matches the fork. just need to polish off a green rear skewer back to silver to match.

Attachments

• DSC00352.JPG
    DSC00352.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 592
  • DSC00351.JPG
    DSC00351.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 592
  • DSC00640.JPG
    DSC00640.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 591
  • DSC00639.JPG
    DSC00639.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 591
  • DSC00636.JPG
    DSC00636.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 591
  • DSC00637.JPG
    DSC00637.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 592
hmmm… seems i'll also have to either source an appropriate fork mounted hanger/cable stop (probably require some modification), or get a new brace with hanger altogether. the XC600 came with a silly little "rocker" device as a hanger/straddle solution that won't work with the CT canti brakes I want to use. also not sure if I want to go black or silver with the CT brakes yet.

anyone know if the braces are interchangeable with earlier year XC forks? i'm thinking XC500 should work for sure. curious about XC400 and earlier. some of them look a little sleeker and less bulky.

xc500-coloured.jpg

309564d1194675820-what-model-marzocchi-marz-01.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Attachments

• DSC06170.JPG
    DSC06170.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 527
:LOL: we'll see. if it was easy, is it really worth doing? ;) but then again, i have a few project's i've never really gotten close to finish. :?

anyhoot… i've ordered one of these to give it a go until i find brace to swap in. it looks fairly retro and might go well.

rhguvkxrjg4dkz8_b.jpg

ca15089-2.jpg

Back