Clockwork info thread

Re: Clockwork info please

I sold it to Coleman on here so assume he's still got it but have not heard about it for a while.

brocklanders023":3no683wn said:
sinnerman":3no683wn said:
brocklanders023":3no683wn said:
The old school ones never had a 'made in Halifax' badge as far as I know as they were not and never pretended to be. They were always very clear that the bikes were designed for the UK but built overseas (except the Formula)

Rubbish.

Christ it wasn't that long ago people here were arguing they were all made in Halifax, and Orange certainly didn't go out of there way to broadcast the fact, im sure you will agree. (approx. end of 2010 :roll: )

Which one of the Experts ride Colemans old Prestige....? when he first got the bike he posted it was built in Halifax and im sure most agreed..... :roll: And plenty took umbridge when it was pointed out it wasn't, I probably still have the PMs to be fair. :facepalm:

Its all irrelevant now, but having "BUILT in England" on a bike Pulled a lot of Sway BITD, and was im Sure a contributory factor to a lot of people buying the product, Oblivious to the fact it was far east produced .

I can count on one hand how few mag reviews mention the full facts BITD.

The "BUILT in England" badge said it all for a lot of british bike companies, and YES it did put a lot of Noses out of Joint, especially those that were "actually" hand building frames up and down the country.

And FWIW not all Clockworks were made in the Far east either, a small amount prior to mass produced far east frame purchasing were "Genuinely".............."HANDBUILT" in the Uk,..... just like the Formula.

Very few Remain.... ;)

Really don't know where to start with this one......

I have never argued any such thing, don't let that stop you though. I have never had a retro Orange that has had a 'built in England' decal although I have not owned every model so would be interested to see one that does. My Saracen does but never on one of my Oranges.

I've got an MBUK artical from around 1991 where the Orange chaps speak quite proudly about designing here but getting them built overseas. Can't say I ever thought anything else even as a child bitd. I am fully aware of the few early hand built Clockworks but have stopped referencing them as I've never seen one and it just confuses the issue as people then think their far east built 1989 is one as it's an early bike. I did think I'd scored one once when I got the bike labeled as 'Prototype' but when I found the serial number I realised it was not the case so sold the bike on.

I'm the 'expert' that now owns Colemans Prestige. Please show me where I have ever said it was hand built.

Also, could you please point out which part of my original post was rubbish.

Like I said you are the resident expert.

FWIW im confident, I referred to Coleman-Adrian, when talking about NOT knowing it wasn't made in Halifax, and then others emailing thereafter.

Clearly making my point, Despite the Few mag reviews stating the full facts as I said, it certainly wasn't mainstream common knowledge at the time, and I think this very thread is testimony to that.

Hence my point "Rubbish", you are clearly one of the few that perhaps were aware.

To be fair, im surprised with your in depth knowledge you didn't mention handbuilt Orange CWs alongside the Formula when you did, I would have thought you would have like to have been precise and accurate, given the Topic is Orange.

And FWIW, my comment on you being an Expert was genuine and not a piss take either. You have had far to many to be anything else.

As I said, I didn't mention the hand built ones as they just confuse the issue and have done in the past. If you can be bothered you can look back to where I have referenced them in other threads. I'd love to see one and hope your clues suggest you have one. If this is the case I look forward to you working your usual magic on it.

I am no expert, I've just held an interest since bitd and have spent too much time looking at them since finding this site. Anthony know far more then me and has corrected me many times.

I looked back to the Prestige thread and although the thought it was hand built is mentioned it is quickly quashed and thats about that from what I can see. I'm also yet to see a retro Orange with 'made in England' on it. I'd genuinely be interested to see one that does. I think it's more a case of people thinking they were bitd because they are now rather then it being thought back then. Might have been different where you live though.

brocklanders023":3qisj0a2 said:
As I said, I didn't mention the hand built ones as they just confuse the issue and have done in the past. If you can be bothered you can look back to where I have referenced them in other threads. I'd love to see one and hope your clues suggest you have one. If this is the case I look forward to you working your usual magic on it.

I am no expert, I've just held an interest since bitd and have spent too much time looking at them since finding this site. Anthony know far more then me and has corrected me many times.

I looked back to the Prestige thread and although the thought it was hand built is mentioned it is quickly quashed and thats about that from what I can see. I'm also yet to see a retro Orange with 'made in England' on it. I'd genuinely be interested to see one that does. I think it's more a case of people thinking they were bitd because they are now rather then it being thought back then. Might have been different where you live though.

I cant say I paid much attention to the badges then or now to be honest, I was thinking more of there catalogue marketing to be truthful.

It was cleverly written and its plain to see how so many misconstrued the bikes as being made in Halifax, cleverly written and using terms like "Our factory based in Halifax", Head "frame builder" and designer" etc etc, (this was as early as 91 from memory).
It does touch on Far east assembly, so it is there, but quickly makes reference to "Other" manufacturers. (using the 91 catalogue for ref in our archives)

It goes on like this throughout, talking of R+D etc, it mentions Assembly a lot too, but such a grey area it is clear why so many perhaps Just presumed. ( and you cant blame them, if you read it)

I suspect the guys selling at ground Zero didn't help matters in this regard either, my experience of sales back then, a lot of Kudos was placed on English built bicycles, conveniently adding weight to an easy sale perhaps.

Whether it was intentionally written up like this I suspect we will never "Honestly" know.

And don't think this is a slight on my part in anyway to orange, it isn't , I rate them then and now, and whilst they aren't responsible for the smaller firms building by hand, falling by the wayside, so many did feel the pinch due to cheaper far east imports. (which is a great shame, but I suppose the way of the world).

Ref the Clockwork it does come with an additional one piece bar and stem like the formula which is nice, and was designed by... yet built for Orange. (this in itself indicates the catalogue marketing for me.)

Its in a sorry state but as and when ill post a thread.

Wow :shock:
I didnt mean to stir up something that has obviously been discussed many times before. Maybe i should have just searched back through threads but sometimes it can be a bit much to get some information. Anyhow i value all your opinions as you quite clearly know what your talking about. Please dont have a go at each other.

What would one expect to pay for infinity cw , complete bike , period correct ish , doesnt have to be mint as it will be used daily ?? I know the figure will vary , but ballpark ?

tuubz":28v47b79 said:
I didnt mean to stir up something that has obviously been discussed many times before. Maybe i should have just searched back through threads but sometimes it can be a bit much to get some information. Anyhow i value all your opinions as you quite clearly know what your talking about. Please dont have a go at each other.

What would one expect to pay for infinity cw , complete bike , period correct ish , doesnt have to be mint as it will be used daily ?? I know the figure will vary , but ballpark ?

Scratches Head.... :?

I thought we were sharing knowledge of the market as we saw them based on separate experiences, not cock measuring.... :facepalm:

Unsure how you think you have stirred anything up either. :? I thought it was called conversation... :?

Brocklanders has far more hands on experience when buying the model you asked about, hes the best one for a valuation.

A nice one with complete Dx and original fit Rock shox, complete with Stalk stem, and complete period parts with O/E paint little fading and not much wear did sell recently on the bay for about £350 I think, a member here bought it too and posted pics of it.

It looked very well kept and Original, if that's any help as a recent guide.... :?

Thats reasonable and im not in any rush so hopefully something will turn up. Cheers

tuubz":3v1nzcv4 said:

I didn't realise asking for and discussing Orange Clockwork information could get someone so frothing at the gills too. Not sure where all that came from. Hope it doesn't put you off.

No not at all. Im grateful for the help and advise from the guys on here. The thing is i know nowt about Orange history but have recently been bitten by the orange bug. ;)

Back