#3 GT LTS Retro DH build

unit3

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok well heres number 3 in the build list, As im still waiting for some parts for my orange build and im going slowly insane sitting at home as im off work at the mo, I thought I may as well start doing a dry build on the LTS.

Plans are to do a circa 95-97 Down hill style build, its not going to be exact but if you have had a look at my others theres no surprise :LOL:

pictures are a bit off as im doing this in my living room as I have to sit down often.

First things first...... :mrgreen:

The frame, belive it to be a Lts 2 or 3, circa 95. Came as a bare frame other than the rockshox delux and a grumbling BB. It has been flatted ready for a re polish but that's not where im going with this frame.

Forks, with thanks to Gio on these, lovely condition Rockshox judy DH.

Couldn't help myself, had to have a look inside, anyone seen this set up? is this standard? dosnt look like it to me :?

Stem (forgot to take a pic) NOS KORE on this dry build,but will probably change for another and put this on my Zaskar.

Perch. With thanks to Dave fattiman, great condition,pics make it look dirty.
Club roost go fast in red.

Bars, from my stash of bits, Club roost sport.

Brakes, now im not sure which to go with, going to be Magura's tho!
From my stash of bits, NOS tomac reds....

Or, Raceline 'D HS33's,not NOS and needs couple new bits of pipe and some refurb work.

Cranks, nothing special at the moment, but will run a single middleburn 46t chain ring.

Wheels-spokes-hubs.
Now I love this set up. New XT hubs with radial laced on the front using black DT spokes,on the rear XT hub standard lace black DT spokes, both rims are NOS mavic 121 ceramic's.

So there it is so far, obviously there still parts to sort for it, and I have taken it all apart again as the fram is getting powder coated and rear triangle re-polished.

Thoughts,comments etc welcome as ever :cool:

Looking good so far!

and you are right.. thats not a standard setup in the judy's

its a wings damper.. I'd be interested to know how well it works compared to a normal judy setup..

i ordered one from the states a few years back and got sent a manitou version instead!!

spacehopper":2p3pak82 said:
Looking good so far!

and you are right.. thats not a standard setup in the judy's

its a wings damper.. I'd be interested to know how well it works compared to a normal judy setup.

umm that's interesting, I have to be honest its not very good quality, and the spring that goes with it is VERRY stiff! :?
And it looks home made, half hours research could find the same parts to make the kit ;)

i thought the same about the kit that i got.. the loop of metal just below the damper is just plain weird!

the stiffness is probably to do with the short yellow spring... im sure that wont even compress the full 75 / 80mm of the Judy DH..

is the other leg empty?

itll be a pain to change the system in the fork too unless you have spares.. you are pretty much going to need a whole new set of internals to replace the wings damper...!

The other leg has the original damper and a spring upgrade, I have left the wings kit out at the moment as im not using them yet.

I do have a new replacement spring/damper kit I may end up using.

The metal ring on the bottom if the damper is just squashed into that shape, you can see the grip marks from a vice :?

Your rims would be perfect in my STS-DH build! :p

I'd say the frame is either newer than you think it is or has had the rear stays replaced. Seatstays are definitely '97+, first year for the Taiwanese LTS-2 was '96 and that year will have the canti mounts closer to 90° to the seatstay below the kink. In '97 it becomes the LTS-3 and they angled the canti mounts down to give clearance for V-brakes; they don't fit on '96 seatstays.

Looks good, interesting to see where it goes.

Hi Shogun, this frame is a bitsa frame it seems, not entirely sure on the year of the frame components.

Update on this tho, after seing a couple of "different" gt full sus builds I may change the plan, but not 100% sure yet. Watch this space!

Back